Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 geting some hunting land what should i plant for food plots >

geting some hunting land what should i plant for food plots

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

geting some hunting land what should i plant for food plots

Old 08-02-2007, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default geting some hunting land what should i plant for food plots

i am now ready to buy some hunting land in sullivan county or greene county indiana southwest area

i had planed to ask this when i had my land but i would liek to get down a food plot this year if possible
what food plot plants and or companys work the best or should i plant something like corn or soy bean als how much should i plant and if i am mainly bow hunting and secondly shotgun hunting how from from my stand should i plant in a big square or around my stand or should i plant a few small plots in the wood to make possible for mutiable stand so how big should the small ones be

i know alot of this come down to land lay out and so on but as i am just starting to look i will be able to work around what will make my hunt the most susseful also i am well capable of cuting trees and diging what source if need be any help whould be great and maybe someday and can repay your help with a hunt on my soon to be new land
Old 08-05-2007, 10:56 PM
Spike

Default RE: geting some hunting land what should i plant for food plots

As for this fall its too late to plant corn or soybeans. Some choices are winter peas, winter wheat, turnips or brassicas, rye, rape, swede.
I am personally getting ready to drill in winter wheat and winter peas mixed 50/50 and then broadcasting turnips on top and cultipacking them in.
You can go to welterseed.com they have a big buck annual mix that they said was 60% winter peas and 6% of each of the other items they have listed. They also have individual seed typs available for good prices.

Whitetail institute has their No-plow which is a late summer early fall planting and most other like biologic have items like this also.

You can do a fall planting of clover but you wont have much to hunt on this season.