Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

using a pop-up blind advice

Old 10-24-2004, 01:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: using a pop-up blind advice

ORIGINAL: Split-Hoof

Just a question.........to those of you that use pop-ups and say they work well if concealed with brush, what is the purpose of using a manufactured blind? Is it solely to keep the elments (wind/rain/snow) out?
For me it's part shelter and part concealment on the fly . Yes , it's nice to have a place to get out of the cold winds and rain , and it's also nice having your camo on even when you're wearing jeans and a t-shirt . They also help to contain scent to a degree , and they hide the majority of your visible motion . You can get away with things in a pop-up that would never fly in a tree stand or stalking . Being able to get up and stretch is great when you get stiff and achy , or just plain chilled . Having room to spread out your various accessories so that they're within easy reach is good , and the newer blinds with the blackout lining even slightly muffle noises from within . For those who want to hunt from the ground for the challenge , or just don't like heights , pop-ups are a great investment .
Old 10-26-2004, 07:48 AM

Hello all, I'm new here I had to sign up just to reply to this post. I had a small buck charge me in my pop-up blind. I was about 50 yards off a tree line where I had been watching a nice buck walk out but to far from my stand. So I went and got this pop-up set it up in this semi cut corn field. As I sit and wait for this buck to walk out like he's been doing for many nights in a row. I had a 4 point 1st year buck come out of the wood right in front of my blind. The whole time he has his eyes on me, he runs towards my blind full bore! Then pulls up about 3 feet from running me over, blows, stomps the ground and then turns like a little puppy and bucks and kick while hopping back to the tree line. He did this 3 or 4 times that night, needless to say I didn't get my buck because of watching this crazy deer make a fool of himself.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:53 AM

Man, too bad you didn't have a video camera for that! I would like to have seen it.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had the same trouble last night.... lol

ORIGINAL: cardeer

What others said,plus pray it will fold up,LOL mine is up three years.Cant get it folded down to size to fit in bag
Old 10-31-2004, 01:12 AM

i use a blind also. i take it out a few days befor if i can.make sure you know that other hunters won't be in their to take it. i but it up and then spray it with sent killer.I have had deer within 20yards and didn't even know i was their.Ithink they think it is just part of the woods. i sure like mine .good luck
Old 10-31-2004, 04:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought my pop-up to take grand kids hunting with me.They can move around and not bother anything.If you just hide it a little they work great.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:25 AM

hey, thanks for the email. ya, I sure like mine to. it's easy to but up and take down.and I can stand up it it to strech and move around a little.i try to plsce it in some cover so it blends in. chat with ya later.goood luck