Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Blind Suggestions/advice >

Blind Suggestions/advice

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Blind Suggestions/advice

Old 05-16-2007, 04:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default Blind Suggestions/advice

Hi ya'll,

Wanting to buy a blind for the express use of arrowing a deer from on a specific piece of property that I hunt where a tree stand won't do it. I've never shot a deer from a ground blind before, I've hunted in various ones for turkey (with a gun) in the past. Was wondering what advice anyone could throw my way? Several guys around here have told me to go with the Double Bull 360 matrix, expensive, but one of the very best on the market. I'm not opposed to paying the top dollar but I just wanted to see what others had to say. Also - is it advisable to go with a 'shoot-through' blind, or can this seriously impact your arrow flight?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,
Old 05-16-2007, 10:30 AM
Spike

Default RE: Blind Suggestions/advice

Well I have hunted in several, I started with Double Bull I have used the Amerestep and we are currently using Ground Max by Big Game. Double bull has a great idea with the Matrix and if you are using it for a pop up pop down run and gun I would say it is a good blind. However we use our blinds hard and set them up in the open several weeks before the season and leave them up for 4 months. I tried that with DB and they stretched out where I could not get them to stay up. Ground Max are made very well and can withstand the elements. I have one set up for Turkey season and we just had a storm blow through with winds of 60 mph and she is still standing. When hunting Deer you do not need a 360 because of wind. The Ground Max has great shooting holes and has mesh if you like, however we film all our hunts and take out all of the mesh because of that. You can get two Ground Max for the price of one DB and it is my experience that they stand up much better. Again this is only my opinion from my experience.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Contact gregholland for the Double Bull 360 Matrix , he'll give you a good deal on one.
You could also contact buckeyebuckhntr for the ASAT blind , it's a good blind as well but cost alot less.
Look them both up on the members list and P M them , don't forget to tell them that RDHunter sent you.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

We've used a couple of the blinds and they are both the cheaper models. We like them but deer are leary of them until they are set up for a while. We usually open up as few of the windows as we can to try to keep them from seeing us and we haven't tried shooting an arrow throught the mesh yet. I wonder about the 360 models since it seems that it would be easier to see you inside of it, but I've not used one.

They have sold me on their use in bad weather. They surely help us stay in the woods longer when the rain and snow are blowing.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

Bought two of them last season for the first time from Gander mountain. A tepee style one that fits one chair and a square one that hold two people/chairs. Both are the pop up style that fold up and then unfurl with spring steel frame. The square one was around 40 bucks on sale andthe tepee style one was only around $20. Only real worry was the height of the blinds.For a rifle their fine but fora bow, it can be a real pain trying to aim and shoot while you are all crunched over. I highly recomend the teepee one as it was much taller and is easier to shoot a bow from and
at 20 bucks a steal. Both are still going strong and in fact the square one is still in place and has been all winter, however the camo pattern on it has turned a rusty red color due to exposure.Also as cheap as these things are I cut my own shooting holes in them. I opened up the corners of the zipper windows to see but I sliced vertical cutsto shoot through at some odder angles depending on how it was situated and where I expected game to come from. I also didn't want to open the windows behind me that would have silhouettedme and some small vertical cuts and holes made with mypocket knife still allowed me to see behind me. Duct tape them when your donehuntingand plan to move it.Good luck with whatever you choose but these things were no risk at those prices and I'm glad I tried them.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:32 PM

Double Bull makes a good blind, but as mentioned, the "360" feature is only good if you can have all of the windows open and not outline your movement in the blind.

I do not like having all of the windows open since it does reveal a lighter background and cansilhouette you.

The ASAT Quickie Blind has some cool features and is a heavy cloth, with good hubs. For the $ this may be a very good option. No less of a blind than the DB Matrix 360. You will not want all of the windows open at the same time deer hunting. YOu need an backdrop and semi scent controlhelp.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:23 AM
RMA
Fork Horn

ASAT blind same quality or better then Double Bull and cost a LOT less.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL!

I honestly can't bvelieve I just read someone claiming that the ASAT blind is the same or better quality than the Double Bull!

Obviously that's coming from someone with propaganda.... are you a Dealer or a Staffer???

There is NOTHING up to the Double Bull quality and the Matrix is the best of the best. I've tried some of the cheaper blinds but you'll only wast money because you'll eventually have to go back and buy a Double Bull. I have both the Matrix and the T5 and they are both exceptional blinds. I will add though that IF you plan on hunting deer from a blind you best have shoot through netting! Also, don't hesitate to shoot b-head through the netting, it performs flawlessly! There is a reason why everyone chooses a DB blind and it's NOT marketing hype!

Good luck and good shootin'
Old 05-17-2007, 09:40 AM
Spike

How do use your DB blinds? Do you just set them up for the hunt or leave them out for a while. Like I said I used DB for several years and they stretched out and I had hubs break. Yes they are good blinds but give Ground Max a go and you will find they are built better that I know from experience. It will come down to personal preference. I think Double Bull is a lot like Mathews Bows, yes they are great but people get caught up in the hype and forget about other products that are as good or better for less money.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

I have a double bull 360 and have never had a problem with anything breaking on it, nonetheless, if something does break, double bull replaces the item no questions asked. I have a buddy with a 360 who had a hole in his blind that he admitted he had caused from unknowingly setting it up under a thorny locust limb, they sent him a new blind with no cost to him. No other company will work with you this way, essentially your double bull will be the last blind you will ever need. Another thing i have noticed about cheaper blinds (having used a half a dozen cheapies!), is that the zippers are junk and the fabric and camo fades terribly. Double bull has great customer service, lifetime warranty, and simply put is "the way to go!" Spend a little more cash for a lot better quality, it will save you in the long run!

Quick Reply: Blind Suggestions/advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.