Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

new blind, need advice

Old 01-24-2009, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default new blind, need advice

i picked up a ameristep doghouse blind 2 weeks ago. this would be the second year using a blind (i usedmy buds d. bullfor turkey hunting last year) and i need some advice on things that i should do, get or learn. i am planning to get 2 sets of shooting sticks. i will prolly use it for muzzleloading. should i keep the screens open over the ports? should i get off the stool and shoot from my knees? how far should i poke the gun out the ports? should i use the small or large shooting ports? should i sit far back in the blind? should i use camo? should i put some blaze orange on the roof? does the blind effect the sound of my calls? any advice would help
Old 01-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: new blind, need advice

Putting blaze on the blind really depends on where you'll be hunting. If you're hunting public land, I say yes. If you're hunting private land, then no. I have two of those dog house blinds and I love them. Plenty of room and great weather resistance. I have blind specific stools for both of them and I set them in the rear of the blind where the entrance is. I back my blinds up to thick brush so I don't have the back open at all. This stool placement is the best for me and allows me to shoot of either of the 3 openings with minimal movement. I do allow my barrel to protrude through the openings a bit. I don't even use the screen windows. I just unzip the main flaps a but until there is about an 8" opening. I camo the hell out of these blinds. The more the better. Cut down some brush and branches from surrounding trees and use that. That way it blends better. And allow the branches to come up in front of the openings. Once you've done this, get inside the blind with your rifle and ensure you can still get a shot off with the openings camoed. If not, rearrange the cover. You want it to be as covered as possible and still be able to shoot/see the surroundings. I don't use calls a lot but in my experience their affectiveness won't be hindered by the blind.