Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Busted by nice Buck, need advice >

Busted by nice Buck, need advice

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Busted by nice Buck, need advice

Old 01-06-2002, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default Busted by nice Buck, need advice

This is similar to the other post where the fella got spotted by the doe. If it were not for the fact that this is a large buck, I would not re-post. But, I understand mature bucks are different and may require a new strategy.

Yesterday evening, I was watching to the south given the wind. Occassionally, I would peer behind me and to the north. When i did, a mature buck was burning a hole through me at 55 yds away. I was in a tri-pod stand with no cover. I immediately froze, and he started stomping his foot. Then, dropped his head as if to eat, and raised it very quickly. He almost caught me putting my binocs down but I did not move. This went on for 6-7 minutes. Finally, he went behind the bush and i put the binocs down and raised my gun. Well, unbeknownst to me, he was peering through the bushes watching me. I saw the white of the tail and he ran off, with two snorts.

Suspecting he will not return to this exact area, I returned to the spot at noon today, while it was raining. I moved my stand 100 yds east (along a creek) and 300-400 yds north (along the creek and in the direction he came from and ran back toward). The only thing I don't like about the spot is, the cover is very dense, offering visibility of 30 yds in each direction. However, it is along the creek and looks like a travel route. The previous spot was more open with scattered brush.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-06-2002, 08:14 PM

Default RE: Busted by nice Buck, need advice

sounds like you dont that much advice. after getting busted by a nice buck somehow they know how far you can shoot and just stick outside that range from my expeirences moving your stand back where the buck came and ran into is also not a bad idea if hes been in tbe area for a while he will still be there somewhere just a little farther out good luck with your hunt
Old 01-06-2002, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

If you have moved that far, you may be alright. I have witnessed huge bucks avoid a certain small area and still be active in the general area, only a 100-200 yds. away. You did good by moving.
Old 01-07-2002, 07:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Tealboy as long as the wind is with you, it sounds like you have done well.

The Tazman