Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Busted super buck yesterday!

Old 12-02-2003, 04:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Busted super buck yesterday!

Well yesterday afternoon I walked back into my stand about 3PM and had barely got settled in when I caught movement off to my right by the pond, rats it was my friend Murphy the dog, Murphy is the land owners OLD OLD dog who is way too friendly in my book!!! Well she meandered around the pond for a bit and then of course had to come see me!!! I love this dog, but I just ignored her and she wondered on up into the woods and proceeded on her rounds. I knew the deer were used to her wonderings so I was not upset as long as she wasn' t hanging around me.

About 15 minutes after Murphy went off into the distance I saw a buck out about 100-120 yards on the edge of a small field next to the pond slowly heading my way. Then I heard it coming out of the woods to my left! Murphy was back!!! She meandered across in front of me and proceeded to go around the edge of the pond on the opposite side of the buck.... needless to say the buck froze and watched Murphy walking along the edge of the pond.... I am not a happy camper right now figuring Murphy would see the buck and spook him, well lucky for me Murphy is darn near blind and continued on home. Well the buck settled down and slowly worked his way down the edge of the field in my direction.

Once he was about 40 yards out, there was a tree between us so I slowly stood and got ready, when he cleared the tree he was broadside and I eased the gun up, aimed right behind his shoulder and squeezed the trigger, hit him hard with a load of 12 gauge double ought buck but he didn' t go down he just kind of staggered!!! I couldn' t beleive it, he didn' t run or jump he just staggered! Well he had turned slighty to me but still the vitals were there, I squeezed off another load of 12 gauge double ought, he kind of stumbled my way about three steps and just stood there, I am thinking to myself " Drop, I know your dead on your feet!" , he continued to stand there, well I squeezed off another load of 12 gauge double ought and he dropped!

Well I sat back down, reloaded and lit up a cigarette just to make sure super buck didn' t get back up!! LOL Well I walked on over to him and he was down for the count thank goodness, I have never put that much lead into a deer before, his side was peppered I still can not beleive he didn' t go down with the first load. He was a decent sized older 7 point, he dressed out at about 160, once I get him butchered I will be bow hunting the rest of the season.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Busted super buck yesterday!

`Way to go, Taz. I imagine that old dog had you pretty nervous.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

The first year I hunted this property Murphy and I had a long drawn out battle that Murphy won 90% of the time, Murphy wanted to go hunting with me and I didn' t want her to come. I finally cured the problem by getting permission to access the property from the neighboring property, so Murphy and I hunting together is very rare now.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats, Taz!!!!! That is a great story and a great buck! [8D]

Butch
Old 12-02-2003, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats Taz.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:29 AM

Taz great story, you forgot the deer weight obviously it was 162 sounds like it might have 2 lbs of OOB in him, and the other problem is this driving the deer thing that dog drove the deer out shouldn' t you be ashamed HA HA great job and well done talk to you later
Old 12-02-2003, 07:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

trophy actually the dog never got over in the area the buck came from, but he sure had that bucks attention when he was across the pond from him.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:44 AM

I hear you hope you know i was kidding, watch out for the buckshot that stuff will kick a fillings A@!$ if you know what i mean, i break one every year it seems when we are eating dove
Old 12-02-2003, 07:44 AM

[&o] Tazman, why the OO Buck? I always thought one slug was much better medicine for the task at hand. Please educate me fellow forum members. Great story and fine buck Taz!!
Old 12-02-2003, 07:55 AM

I' m also wondering about the 00 ...... I know in some areas you can' t use a rifle, and in some slugs are forbidden, but if you had a chhoice, why use buckshot if you could use a slug ?

I would think that you' d lose more meat with shot, as well as being somewhat less accurate when compared to a slug..... but that' s what I **think** - I' ve never hunted with buckshot, but would like to learn about any advantages/disadvantages.

Thanks in advance for any and all insight.

I guess I' m still learning after 20+ years ............

Patrick

Quick Reply: Busted super buck yesterday!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.