Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

beaver bog

Old 09-21-2004, 07:26 PM

Default beaver bog

Anyone have luck hunting aroung these Beaver Bogs? Found one in the middle of no where. lots of water for deer. On the hillside long side it , there is hemlocks with an old skidder road. deer seem to using it. hung Stealth cam on the trail. will check it saturday. will post any good ones.
Also two mom bears with cubs have been seen in the area by home owners. glad I got my $5.00 bear tag. There are getting more bear in the south of the state now.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: beaver bog

Beaver ponds are great, they attract all kinds of wildlife. I like to hunt so the wind blows my scent over the pond. No chance a deer can get down wind of you. Maby even a stand on both sides, for two different winds. Don't worry about them noisy old Frogs, They won't get you
Old 09-21-2004, 10:55 PM

ORIGINAL: OHBowhunter
Don't worry about them noisy old Frogs, They won't get you
You may think i am stretching it a bit but seriously this does work. Use the frogs to your advantage. I have done this in the past and it works great. Ever notice when u walk near the frogs they shut up and won't make a peep. Well same goes with animals. If the frogs quit croaking, get ready something is around and hopefully headed your way. good luck
Old 09-22-2004, 08:48 AM

I'd be looking for a fnnel around the bog. If it's open deer won't want to cross it durring the day. If you can find a spot where there is a narrow crossing or around the ends is often a good spot to find concentrated deer movement.

I've also been hearing about bears in the southern part of the state. I talked to a guy(at walmart getting his liceness) who hunts somersworth and he also said the land owners where he has permission to hunt have seen bears lately.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:56 AM

this is what i found going into a beaver pond slough yesterday while scouting.note the soybean clump at the bottom of the rub.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

Looks like a beaver tried to eat that one.[:-]
ORIGINAL: loner

this is what i found going into a beaver pond slough yesterday while scouting.note the soybean clump at the bottom of the rub.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

OH..I think that could have been made by a whitetail buck rubbing his antlers.....let me look closer....NOPE, you're right, it was definitely done by a beaver!
Old 09-26-2004, 12:06 AM

i am going to hang my ol'man close by thursday evening anyway.i'll take my digital just in case i get a shot at that beaver.to be on the safe side i'll also hang my bow closeby.