Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 getting rid of beaver (trapping beaver) >

getting rid of beaver (trapping beaver)

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

getting rid of beaver (trapping beaver)

Old 07-11-2006, 07:39 PM

Default getting rid of beaver (trapping beaver)

My family has half of a small (35 acre) lake and we are having a probleem with beaver building up the earth and rock dam. They are getting it too close to the top of the earthworks, to the point that if another big storm goes thru like a week ago and the level of the lake rises like it did, the damn will put it higher than the access road that crosses over the outlet stream and the lower side of the earthworks.

I was thinking of getting some traps and such and next time I've got a week off, going up and setting traps to lessen the problem.
The main dificulty is that we don't own the half where the lodge and most of the traffic is at and the person who does is strictly "no trespass, no hunting or trapping allowed at all", so the only place I can trap is right at the dam.

What would be the best stratagy, trap rigs, and how to set them up?
Is a just a few days, a week at most, enough time?
Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: getting rid of beaver (trapping beaver)

Water trapping, beaver in particular, is not something you can really throw together overnight and learn on the fly with only a few days to dedicate to the job. In your situation I would suggest hunting the beavers and shooting them with a rimfire like 22lr or 17HMR at close range. Check regulations in your area- since they are furbearers they might be protected. Wintertime trapping would be the best way to affect the population- but for short term relief I would start sniping.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:02 PM

That was the other option. Setting up the ground blind and spending a quiet morning plinking or maybe seeing if I could stick one in the mud with my bow.

Figured it wouldn't be easy to trap, but hoped someone had a good way to set up for a overnight trip since I can usually get there for atleast 1 night a week.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

A drown set with a number 3 double long spring trap will do the trick. You can do it as a "blind set" using beaver castor (available at trapping supply outlets). Another option is to tear a small hole in the dam, then set the trap under water in the hole. Beaver will get caught when they start trying to repair the damage. Either way, you need to use a good drowning set with a cable and "brake," or the beaver will chew or twist their foot off and get out.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:04 PM
Fork Horn

Just wate till fust before dark and slip up to the lake with a .22 and shoot him they are up just before dark

Old 07-15-2006, 06:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Folks, keep in mind that he shares the lake with someone who seems to be rather difficult. Going out at night, or any tiime and firing a rifle across open water may end up attracting far more attention than he wants, especially if he is getting rid of the problem outside of the actual season on beaver.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have had that problem at my work. Very small pond like 1.5 acres so we called in a trapper to do the job right. He was astounded as he trapped 10 beaver in that small area in a couple of weeks. The dnr did give me a permit so I could take one via shotgun. I broke a hole in the dam and waited. The beavers see the water level change and usually come to see where the problems at. Good Luck let us know how it goes.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

Get ahold of a local trapper they already have the traps and call lures and knowledge to catch them.they also make live traps for beaver.Most states havea trappers association or contact the National trappers association on the internet.Good luck.
Elkshed