Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

making jerky

Old 09-03-2004, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default making jerky

I bought a food dehydrator so I can make some deer jerky this fall. I was looking at the manual it said for pork, chicken, and turkey you need to use precooked and processed meat. Nothing was said about deer or beef. I plan on trying making some from beef just to play around and see how it works. I wonder why they said use preccooked or processed for those three types of meats but not beef.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:52 AM

Default RE: making jerky

POOHEY. . . . use any type of meat you want, uncooked. Trim it very well. cut in strips no more than 1/8 thick. Marinate it in spices of your choice. I mix soy sauce, teriaki marinade, garlic, cheyane (sp?) pepper, Chili pepper, onion powder, black pepper, salt and such to taste, little bit of olive oil put all that and place in a big bowl with the meat. cover with foil place in the ice box, mix every few hours. the next day take it out and place it in your dryer. check it every few hours and start removing pieces when they are dry but not brittle. make sure the thicker peices are dried through too.

You think the indians cooked their meet first? Nope. . . .with proper drying you'll be fine.

Just remember that if you dry to slow bacteria and or mold will grow. . .this is bad.

This will work for salmon and sturgeon too. . . . .
Old 09-03-2004, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: making jerky

They probably recommend pre-cooked chicken, turkey, and pork because bacteria are atracted to these meets more than red meats. Easy to get sick on these meats. Be careful with those meats. You might get the OOBI flu... (Out Of Both Ends)