Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Making Jerky

Old 12-04-2005, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Making Jerky

I think this istheproper locationfor this post. Iwant make some deer jerky, but the information I am getting is inconsistent.

For simplicty, I thoughtgetting a jerkygun and a dehyrdrator wouldbe the way to go. Then I read in a publicationthestate of Alaska put out that a dehydratormust reach 180 degeesto killthe parasites. Others I've talked with say a K-Mart dehydratorreaching 140degrees is what they use andtheyhave not gotten sick.Wherecanbuya 180 degree dehydrator? Is this necessary?

It also seems thatjerky gunsmake the meat eaiserto mold and handle.
I welcomeyour thoughts.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:46 PM

Default RE: Making Jerky

you can actually use your oven, although there are many different ways. here's a recipe I love.
if you want tasty-spicy jerky...try this recipe--- equal parts worsterchire and franks red hot sauce..cut the steak with the grain in very thin slices(alright if not with the grain). i marinade this for 4-5 DAYS in a ziplock sealable container-not bag- the cheap throw aways---the 4-5 days gives full flavor. after the 4 days drain the marinade and take paper towels and squeeze out any excess marinade. then i put the oven on 130-170 degrees. i put it on skewers and on the top rack. let it go for 4-6 hours untill dry. the thinner the peice the faster it cooks. it is really tasty and has a lot of the franks flavor. good luck
Old 12-09-2005, 04:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

When you make jerky you want to dry it at a low temp/ I do mine at 120 degrees. The cure that you use contains sodium nitrate which alows this type of cooking without bacteria growth.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2
Old 12-09-2005, 05:32 AM

I just put 15 lbs. in marinade last night. I make some and vacume it in small batches for Christmas gifts for the kids.bigger batch for the dad's.

heres mine.

one I came up with years ago.every one loves it.should have been selling the receipt.

remove all the fat from the meat.(FAT WILL SPOIL THE JERKY QUICKLEY)
slice three lbs. venison into strips no thicker than 3/8".

mix 1/2 cup soy sauce ; 1/2 cup worchestershire ; 2 tsp. accent ; 2 tsp. season salt ; 2/3 tsp. garlic powder ; 2 tsp. onion powder ; 2/3 tsp black pepper ; 2 tbs. honey.

all the seasonings will not desolve.
Place meat in glass or stainless bowl.pour mixture over and mix well.let marinade overnight,stir several times.

place meat on rakes in oven ,with spoon in door to release moisture,or put into dehydrater and cook at 150 degrees for 6 to 8 hrs. or untill the dryness you like.
I like mine a little on the softer side.(it want keep as well if it is moist)

Old 12-09-2005, 05:26 PM

I have noticed some people buy the "cure" and some people just marinade it. Do I really need a jerky "cure" or is that just for flavor?
Thanks
Nathan
Old 12-09-2005, 05:42 PM

I have seen alot of you on here use soy/worchesteshire .Anyone use teriyaki for jerky?
Nathan
Old 12-09-2005, 09:06 PM

I use the 1-1 worsterschire--franks or tabasco--and I marinade for about a week. It turns out full flavor; but keep in mind that it is a personal preference. I just happen to love the flavor.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have noticed some people buy the "cure" and some people just marinade it. Do I really need a jerky "cure" or is that just for flavor?
If you dry it at 150 you don't need it. only at low temps.
I made some in the oven by just slicing,mixing up some salt,pepper and liquid smoke, brush it on, hang by tooth picks and dry in oven with door ajar at 150 for about 6 hrs.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:39 PM

Thanks jerseyhunter,
I hope to start making some this week(have to get the feer first)
Nathan
Old 12-10-2005, 03:34 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Just remember, remove ALL fat! What does all mean? All means all and thats all that all means.
I,for right now, use a black,round, 4 tray, with air controle on top and bottom. I rotate trays, bottom to top, about every 2 hrs. It takes about 24 hrs to finish the jerky. When finished this is dry not chewy.
First think I do is make my sauce and soak the meat (while in the refrig.) for about 10 to 12 hrs.
What do I use? The truth is that its always different. I have never measured things out. I have spices that I like and when mixed with different sauces some times it comes out stronger or just a little different in taste. Sometimes I have been known to tweek it with somthing new also but when finished I let it cool, bag it and then hide it from my Sons.
lol
One thing I would love to learn to make is dryed sausage. A butcher, one town over, makes it and its great. He also makes a jalapeno, cheese sausage but does not dry it. Tried to get him to make me some of this in the dryed sticks like the other but was told no.
Good look and remember what all means.
Rick

Quick Reply: Making Jerky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.