Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Anyone else have this problem? >

Anyone else have this problem?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone else have this problem?

Old 08-16-2004, 07:19 PM

Default Anyone else have this problem?

I have a new property to hunt and see a bunch of deer when I am there. I already have one good stand spot selected. My problem is that I am afraid that before dawn I may be spooking deer whether I drive close to or walk to my stand. I have thought about trying it only in the evenings for the first few days and if that isn't successful I will gamble on a morning hunt. Is that the best solution?
Old 08-16-2004, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone else have this problem?

When I hunt mornings I try to not walk through deer feeding ,beding and trails , I pick my stands and aproch path to minamise the chance of spooking deer but still put me between beding areas and feeding. I may walk an extra 1/2 mile to not bump deer . I use a green LED head lamp that deer are not susposed to be able to see . Try not to slam car doors , leave head lights on ect
Old 08-18-2004, 01:20 AM

Id either find another route or leave ALOT earlier to get to the stand. Or both. I hunt in Texas and our place is fairly wide open, some blinds we will drive all the way to the blind and park next to it so we dont have to walk through the areas we expect the deer to be headed. Thats if we dont have someone to drop us off and park somewhere else. Obviously this only works in rifle season. I definately dont like walking through the kill zone. But if you have to, do it real early and get yourself as "scent free" as you can. best of luck
Old 08-18-2004, 02:13 AM
Fork Horn

I think you have a very reasonable idea to hunt evenings first. But your question is pretty much valid for lots of us. If you're walking through a crop field I'd stay out of it until first light to inspect the field. You won't bump them off of it this way.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

keep in mind, deer don't spook near as easily in the dark as they do in daylight. Scent is the most critical, along with not slamming car doors etc...