Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 I think i have a problem >

I think i have a problem

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

I think i have a problem

Old 06-28-2004, 07:42 PM

Default I think i have a problem

I was out at my hunting club today and me and my 8 month old lab were walking in a dried rice field, i was watching the ground for snakes and dubya took off when he saw deer so he ran about a mile and i finally found him... i usally let him run and get off that nervice energy after training or a long day at the house. when i finally got to him his mouth was foaming and he could hardly take a breath...... he was dragging his rear legs and just layed down... I am taking him to the vet tommerow to get heart worm and tick stuff. after 30 minutes he was still dragging his legs but quit the panting. thanks
will
Old 06-29-2004, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I think i have a problem

Could be two or three things.
1. Heat Exhaustion
2. EIC (Exercise Induced Collapse)
3. Hypoglycemia

Be sure to mention EIC to your Vet. There are a few Vets around that don't know much about it.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:51 AM

It sounds as if he may have been heat stressed. It is too hot this time of the year in the south for extreme activities on an animal.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:20 AM

Well i went to the vet today and she pretty much said that he had heat exhaustion. She said to make sure he has plenty of water before and after being outside and make sure he doesnt strain him self.
thanks for yalls help.
will
Old 07-01-2004, 07:44 AM

I am glad to hear your pup is doing ok now. I would caution you about letting your dog run deer though. Around here many hunters won't think twice about shooting a dog they see running deer.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad he/she is ok. It dont take long for a dog to overheat int his crappy weather. I had a lab with a bit of chow in her (little black on her tongue), She would fetch that tennis ball till you made her stop. I was afraid she would work herself to death.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Bill a dog running deer can get shot. Also a dog can get brain damage from heat stroke. I trained my lab to think deer = pain in the neck. Let it chase deer a few times and it may take off to chase deer when ducks are landing.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:10 PM

It sure sounds like heat stress. But as DocE eluded to there is the potential for it to be something else. Exercise-induced intolerance is pretty rare. It only occurs in labs. If that is it, it will happen again once you start excising him. There is also the chance he could have gotten into something (the hypersalivation being the clue here). Play close attention when you take him out again. Good luck!
Old 07-06-2004, 05:49 PM

thanks i will do that. I dont let him chaze the deer anymore. or any thing like that..... i make sure he has plenty of cold water in his kennel.... it hit 101 today so he stays in side.
thanks will
Old 08-03-2004, 11:31 AM

I run my yellow lab 20 miles every saturday and over the summer a few years ago I ran him so hard that I had to carrie him back home for 5 miles. he just colapsed. I reccamend a book. I'm not sure what it's called but it has treatments for dogs. just about everything from A-Z. It might be called "The dog owner's handbook" not sure who the author is but it's well worth the money. I've saved over $200 on vet bills. I highly suggest picking it up.

Quick Reply: I think i have a problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.