Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Landowner permission

Old 07-28-2004, 05:46 AM

Default RE: Landowner permission

I think maybe all in all, these permission slips "look" good to the landowner because it shows them that you have put the time and effort into being a real sportsman and that you are responsible. I suppose I'll put the disclaimer in now....But I'm not saying that if you don't have a permission slip made up, that your not either of those things. Plus it has all of your contact info on it. It shows them that you really have nothing to hide and they can contact you at any time. It may be more of something that gives them the warm fuzzys. It may be the deal breaker in sewing up that land you've wanted to hunt.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:21 AM

In ohio a landowner can not be sued for giving a hunter permission to hunt.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Unfortunately, even though the forms above say they realease the landowner of any liability, simple, "homemade" releases such as these do not stand up in court and HAVE NOT protected the landowner from being sued for injuries or damages by the guest/visiting hunter.
Brother Hal the one I provided is verbatim from the state of Virginia, it will stand up in a Virginia court. Notice I did say to have a lawyer check it out if you do not live in Va.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:32 AM

guys, thanks for all the help!

as for the landowner, I am not going to sue him. This is more for a "I'm responsible, I have no issues giving out my contact info, and look at me, I am hunter ed certified, bow certified, muzzle loader certified, and I teach hunter ed." I am hoping that this will help in securing pieces of land. as well, if they forget that they gave me permission, this will be on the dash board of my truck, so they don't get upset and unwittingly call the cops and/or ruin my hunt and/or alter my property such as truck thinking I am a trespasser.

so, It goes both ways. I am not a suer at all, but like some of you said, you can't be too careful and hopefully this will show a landowner that I am responsible for myself.

beej
Old 07-28-2004, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's a shame, whatever happened to knocking on the door and asking for permission with a note saying so.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

It's a shame, whatever happened to knocking on the door and asking for permission with a note saying so.
I am old enough to remember when in Va. as long as the place was not posted you could hunt it with nothing but oral permission, actually you still can, but your crazy if you don't have written permission, to many people to hassle you if you don't! Heck the game warden down home told us we could hunt any of the canning properties we wanted to, I doubt if this was totally legal, but the game warden said go for it and we did.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not saying that the one I provided would stand up in court. However, it was drawn up by an attorney.