Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Landowner permission

Old 01-06-2007, 12:05 PM

Default Landowner permission

Hi guys,

havent been on the deer forums in a while, mainly cuz ive been out hunting lol. I was recently informed that the 100 acres i hunt on for deer will be sold in the upcoming year, and I now need to find a new property to hunt on. Getting permission for this one was easy, since my uncle is one of the owners of property. Now im faced with the task of finding a new property to hunt on. Alot of people just say ask as many people as you can and eventually someone will say yes.

I guess this would be ok, but im 15 years old and cant drive yet, and my parents work so i dont gotta ride there and back. I need to get permission on a property that is close so that i can walk there and back.

I have maybe 4 or 5 properties close by that would be decent for deer hunting, so i was wondering if you guys/gals had any tips on how to get landowners to give permission. Alot of people say dont show up in camo, with a rifle slung on your back lol...i know this but wat else do you guys do?

Would it help mentioning i hunt with a bow? any tips are greatly appreciated ..thanks in advance

Mike
Old 01-06-2007, 09:31 PM

Default RE: Landowner permission

Just be up front and honest with them about what you would like to do. Let them know that its just you and you will not bring a group of people with you. You might even offer to help them out with cleaning up the land of other chores, in exchange for hount rights.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:23 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: SGTLOWE

Just be up front and honest with them about what you would like to do. Let them know that its just you and you will not bring a group of people with you. You might even offer to help them out with cleaning up the land of other chores, in exchange for hount rights.
Agree! And also get it in writing.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:17 AM

Exactly what they said. Now is also a good time to start saving yourself some money, maybe when you turn 18 you can buy some land like I did (of course it won't be 100 acres likely, but it's still a wise investment and fun to have.)
Old 01-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

You could start dating a pretty neighbor girl whose father owns a lot of farmland that's good for hunting.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK yur 15 years old so belive it or not people don't like to let yung folks on their property alone. So you are going to have to be creative. Sit down and write down a what your going to say to the land owner. In it put down that you have been well trained in Hunters Safety and you have been hunting for so many years. That you are a good student in school.
Belive me I am a land owner in my 50's and I think a well dressed well prepaired young man would impress me. Other suggestions if your dad or mom would go with you showing support that would be good too. If you have any face jewlery get rid of it (ear,nose,eye rings) nothing would make me shut the door faster then a blue haired holly faced kid. Just my suggestion.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:06 PM
Typical Buck

I completely agee with Mike Hill, you will first have to show the landowner that you are an extremely responsible young man. You may try asking him if you can do chores so that he can be the judge of your character. Then once he know you he will let you hunt his land. Always be kind curtious and polite, best of luck to you. Now is the time to get started to find your spot for next year.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:24 PM

yeh im 16 and dont have anyone but my uncle who owns about 40 acres. But this pas season i got my grandma to ask this lady on the highway to let me hunt on her land she sed yes..it about 400 acres and all woods and a lil crop feilds
i only ask my grandma because she know quite alot of ppl in my small town and she worked with her for a long time as well!
Old 01-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: isatarak

You could start dating a pretty neighbor girl whose father owns a lot of farmland that's good for hunting.
That's what I did - then I married her! I hunt on my wife's family's property more than my own family's property now!
Old 01-08-2007, 09:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Isatarak,

The gal doesn't have to be pretty if her daddy owns lots of good hunting land[8D]

Don't know if anyone mentioned it, but having one of your parents accompanying you when you approach someone to ask may help, especially if they are known in the community.

Quick Reply: Landowner permission

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.