Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 If you didn't shoot a deer in 1st 7 yrs...would you quit hunting deer? >

If you didn't shoot a deer in 1st 7 yrs...would you quit hunting deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

If you didn't shoot a deer in 1st 7 yrs...would you quit hunting deer?

Old 07-06-2004, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default If you didn't shoot a deer in 1st 7 yrs...would you quit hunting deer?

I have a friend who has not shot his first deer yet and he will enter the deer woods here in NH for the 8th time. We give him a hard time, kiddingly, because he's so dedicated and puts his time in the woods. For those who think he's not a good hunter, think again. He just happens to hunt areas with less than 10 deer per square mile, honestly some tough hunting. Places where you can go days without ever seeing a deer.

Soooooo, here's the question. Would you hang up the old "rifle" if you hunted for 7 straight yrs. (in your same home state/province) and failed to get your first deer? He's far from it and is anticipating getting his first trophy in 2004. Ya gotta love his attitude. Something tells me I will receive some "purist" answers about how just being in the woods makes it wonderful etc. The reason I am saying this is because I told him I would post this question and would not receive one negative answer. Would you give it up after 7 unsuccessful yrs. or do you know anyone who has?
Old 07-06-2004, 01:43 PM

Default RE: If you didn't shoot a deer in 1st 7 yrs...would you quit hunting deer?

to answer i would say yes and no, Yes i would give that area up and go find a place in that state or a bordering state that has more deer, but no i would not give up hunting, good luck to him
Old 07-06-2004, 02:11 PM

Default RE: If you didn't shoot a deer in 1st 7 yrs...would you quit hunting deer?

On the borderline of what TH said. I'd try and find a new locale? But the real part of your question If I had to ask myself that I would first look at why I was hunting? If just for the kill then yes. But some people seem to think that is why we do what we do. I can understand his frustration. I have Elk hunted for nearly twenty years, and have only tagged one elk.That was in '96. Now I had one taken from me a few years back but other than that those are the only two times an elk has fallen due to my shot.I almost quit hunting that day. My Dad talked me into it by the afternoon. I realized that it wasn't fair because of how hard we'd worked for that animal just to have some lazy ass who thought they were hunters steal it from us. BUt now I still trudge on every year in the hopes of an opportunity at an Elk. I never ask/pray for a kill but an opportunity. Not all enjoy the sport for the sport but for the kill and those would probably quit when they never get that? I for one will never quit..... PERIOD
Old 07-06-2004, 02:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

To be honest I'd probably quit and find something else more populated to hunt. Now if I kept screwing up opportunities myself and blowing chances, then I'd probably stay at it just for the shear reason that I hate to lose and it would be one of those things to overcome. But if I'm out there time and again with no reasonable chances to get something, after 7 years I'd probably move on.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

There is a man that I have guided every year for ten years that has only taken one deer. He hunts the opening weekend of deer season and the fourthweekend every year. He sees alot deer but rarely takes one. I wouldnt say an avid hunter but definitely a patient one.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:58 PM

His patience will be rewarded.This will be my 5th year and I have only killed one deer.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats the same reason trophy hunters go to where the the big bucks are up north? maby canada or ILL. Kansas somthing like that? If the deer is not in the area you are? You don`t stop hunting? You just go were they are? it`s as simple as that! he should stop wasting his time trying year after year with out success? there is no diffrence in scouting a small area for deer, than it would be scouting a reagon for deer just a little more work! It sure would beat not seeing or getting any thing year after year. It does`t matter how good a hunter you are! If there is not many deer around! Don`t exspect to deer very many[&:]
Old 07-06-2004, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

No I wouldnt give up hunting, its just great being away from home and in nature . October 1st 2004 will be my 3rd season, I didnt kill one the previous two. I get closer each year so if things continue like that this year I will connect
Old 07-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Where I hunt there is a very high population of deer. I have never in 48 years failed to get a deer with a rifle. I have missed connecting several times with the muzzle loader as that season is after the rifle season and they are pretty skidish aboiut that time of the year. I also don't like to push the range as a rule so I pass up quite a few shots that for me are iffy. Last year was an exception as I bagged a Big mule deer at about 200 yards with the muzzle loader. It was a condition where I knew I would either hit the chest or miss the deer all together. I was shooting a 300 grain Hornady bullet so I knew a hit would pass clear through the deer which it did. I just read in the paper where North and South Dakota now has record high numbers of deer. So much for the anti hunter who think hunting threatens deer populations.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:53 PM

Nope. It is not the kill that makes the hunt.

Quick Reply: If you didn't shoot a deer in 1st 7 yrs...would you quit hunting deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.