Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 If you didn't shoot a deer in 1st 7 yrs...would you quit hunting deer? >

If you didn't shoot a deer in 1st 7 yrs...would you quit hunting deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

If you didn't shoot a deer in 1st 7 yrs...would you quit hunting deer?

Old 07-06-2004, 05:17 PM

Default RE: If you didn't shoot a deer in 1st 7 yrs...would you quit hunting deer?

jimmy tell your friend you found someone whom took longer to make his first bowkill i hunt on very heavy pressured state land here in mich, and after 9 yrs of trial and error hits and mostly misses as i had decided to take up bow hunting on my own with noone to tell me anything i was doing right or wrong, i moved to a little town i met a gentleman named moses, whom has been bow hunting for over a decade, as a matter of fact he was 1 of the first 4 bow hunters in newaygo county, well after practiceing all spring and summer long with his guidance and his patience, i finally took my first deer, that was 8 yrs ago, and i can still remember that day as if it happened yesterday,,

my very first buck was a 5 1/2 yr old 11 point that field dressed at 189 lbs needless to say i was very excited over my first trophy, now he wasnt a very big racked buck but the dnr said he was starting to regress as he was getting older, so in answer to your ???? heck no i wouldnt quit and dont let your friend either,, as far as deer hunting for me i have been consistent every year since,, and i believe your friends day is right around the corner ,,,,,,

here is my first deer and the man that helped me to learn all i have about bow hunting
Old 07-06-2004, 05:26 PM

Default RE: If you didn't shoot a deer in 1st 7 yrs...would you quit hunting deer?

YES-where I hunt at, if you cant see a legal deer in 7 days, let alone 7 years, you need to quit!
Old 07-06-2004, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

This will make my 4th year.............................................. ............................Stilll havn't killed one yet.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:51 PM

Took me 25 years for my first deer.Hunted in a lot of different areas just didn't see any legal deer. Then I started to be more successful and it just hasn't been the same.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

i've hunted for over 7 years and i am still waiting to get that doe....yes a doe...never got one..... but i will......i feel i need to do my part in the management as well.....given the right chance i will.....took me i think it was 3yrs. before i got a buck....i hunted turkeys for 3 years , nothing,then my 4th year, my persistance paid off.......but it's more than just getting a harvest...yeah, here's the part you dont want to hear, lol....i remember the day i used to just walk and look for tracks..now that i have continued my education in a sense.... plants, trees,mushrooms, and other critter tracks, can identify almost everything i see now.....almost, lol....still learnin'.....but i love walking through the woods now that i know what i am seein'.....so yes, i would in a heart beat....[8D] your buddy shouldn't get ragged on , ok, maybe a lil' just for kicks, but he'll get his and when he does, all those years will be gone......i wish him the best of luck......
Old 07-06-2004, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hunted for 6 or 7 years before getting my first dee! A doe!
First thing he needs, is to be where there ARE deer! You can't kill what isn't there!
Second he needs to be sure he is doing things right, scent control, movement, noise, and such.
If he is doing thing the right way, and there are a huntable number of deer in the area, eventually he will be rewarded! If he is not set on a "trophy" for the first deer, then maybe he should take whatever he is offered for a first deer! As I said my first ended up being a doe, and it was as good as a trophy buck to me!
I was about ready to give up deer hunting myself! I was pretty much doing things right, it just ended up that there were not many animals where I was hunting!
Tell him not to give up! I didn't, and I have killed deer every year scince that first doe, many years ago!
Old 07-06-2004, 08:32 PM

All that I can say is ................ KEEP AT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The hunt isn't just about the kill. However, one needs to give themselves the best opportunity to make the kill.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

keep hunting... it took 5 years for me, my kids were small, i only hunted about 14 days per season (bow season). after the first, all the pressure was off and i enjoy the hunts whether i take one or not
Old 07-06-2004, 09:42 PM

I guess i can't answer that question, as im used to shooting 3 or more deer a year and seeing alot of them all sesaon long. my uncle has turkey hunted for 8 years, never got one...he still hunts hard..so thats kinda like the scenario.

slayer
Old 07-06-2004, 11:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some people get the wrong idea about hunting.

It is the hunt not the kill that is the enjoyable part.

Whats better your worst day in the woods or your best day at work?

Quick Reply: If you didn't shoot a deer in 1st 7 yrs...would you quit hunting deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.