Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer hunting help

Old 02-22-2002, 02:25 PM

Default deer hunting help

I need to clear up something. I plan on killing a buck next season. I'm not going to skin it or quarter it my self. I plan on taking it to a deer cooler and letting them do everything to it, then i plan on taking it to a taxidermy. Should I gut it right after i shoot it? Also, i heard if the weather is warm or hot I should gut the deer and put it in ice or a refrigerator when it's warm. If its cold or cool, i heared that i should gut it right away and then hang it to cool for a couple days. PLEASE tell me if these is true.
Old 02-22-2002, 02:58 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-22-2002, 04:23 PM

Default RE: deer hunting help

allways immediatly gut your animal just dont split the briskit farther then the back of his front legs. and if youve never caped out a buck it is best to watch someone do it the first time as you can do it wrong. if you plan on letting the deer hang with its skin on i would suggest cuttin off the tarsal glands on its back legs as these will taint the round steaks if left on. remmmember you have roughly 6-10hours after kill before your meat will start to spoil. get it to a cooler if its warm. if its cool (under40) you can hang it anywhere its safe from varmits. and congrats on that buck your gonna shoot. i bet he doesnt even know it yet
Old 02-22-2002, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

so, have you decided how ur gonna get the buck mounted yet? just wondering. by the way, how big is it gonna be?
Old 02-22-2002, 10:04 PM

i plan on killing a .....200 class buck next year. if your going to hunt you better learn to do the dirty work. i dont gut mine on the spot . i can have them on a skinning rack in about 15 to 20 minutes from anywhere on my pondarosa. get them on ice or in a refrigerator(big one) as soon as you can. my 12 y/o knows how to get bloody and like i tell him if you kill it you clean it. now it's fine and i recommend you take it to a good deer processor. you will enjoy the meat more if you have some tenderized steaks and deer burger. and sausage is good to. just try getting someone to help you and in no time youll be good at it.