Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

permanent tree stands

Old 03-01-2004, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default permanent tree stands

does anybody know of any websites where i can see pictures of permanent tree stands. or do you have any suggestions on how to build one. i will be building it on a tree that is straight up with out any Y's or forks. just a normal tree that is straight
Old 03-01-2004, 05:43 PM

Default RE: permanent tree stands

i have never built a stand on a single tree before...I need at least two trees realatively close together for my design to work. First i nail a 2X6 across one tree to the other at about 15-20 feet or higher if you want. This acts as a brace so leave about a foot over hand on each side of the trees. I then build a wooden ladder out of 2x6's and 2x4's. This ladder should be at least three feet higher than the plank you previously nailed up. Then stand the ladder up somewhere close to the middle of the 2 trees but about 3-4 feet away. It will look like a triangle with the ladder beinng the point and the two trees the base. Now nail a plank from the one tree to one side of the ladder making sure it is level....Make sure the end nailed to the tree is resting ontop of the first nailed board so it has some support. Do the same on the other side. Now add a brace below the attachment point of the ladder to the stand. Then i just cut 2x6's and nail them across for flooring. You may also want to brace the tree to the ladder about halfway down the ladder. Now the 3 feet of the ladder sticks up to act as a grip when u climb and works great if you want to attach material for walls. Just tack the material around the 2 trees and the ladder posts, leaving a hole for entry. sorry i have no pics but hope this may give you some ideas.....
Old 03-01-2004, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have never built a permanent stand before in a single tree. i mite try out ur design. i usually try 2 find a Y shaped tree or a forkish looking spot 2 put a sheet of plywood in. thanks for the suggestion
Old 03-02-2004, 04:19 AM
Typical Buck

I build lot of permanent stands. The Hiawatha method works well. There are good one tree ways but I don’t use them, mostly because they are to small. I like three tree stands, usually one tree that has split into there or four trees. Actually this works for any amount of trees. Here goes. First I put a 2x6 across two trees as high as I can reach, 7’ or so. I lean a 16 foot ladder on the board and TIE IT OFF REAL GOOD. Use only the biggest nails you can drive, 16 penny don’t make it, go larger. Pre nail the board so it is easy to start when holding it to the tree, with cordless you bay need to drill a pilot hole. Nail up three boards to the outside if the tree a few inches above the top of the ladder, at least three good nails per end.. The ladder will stick up into the center side of the triangle you just made and will be just below the floor. This is a climb through type. Nail or screw floor boards leaving a hole to climb through. Now make an insert for the hole. You leave this in the stand when you leave. While standing on your nice new platform add good SOLID rails 2x6 not 2x4 at your shooting rest height. Add a seat between two trees with a solid backrest and wala you have a comfy safe place to hunt from. With this arrangement I do not feel a harness is necessary.. Enjoy!!!

One Shot One Kill Striper Phil
Old 03-02-2004, 06:10 AM

I plan on building a small tree stand in a single tree, a hemlock. I have a nice deer higway in my back property, and a very large hemlock. I plan on making it with a home built ladder, using 2x4's going up the back side of the tree. I haven't yet decided on the height, maybe 16 to 20 feet high. Then I will have a transition step or steps between the back and the front of the tree stand. The stand will have a seat, plus a small platform to stand on. I usually build a railing around it and use camo burlap between the railing and the platform. I will be using 2x6's under the platform, lag bolts and 2x4's for the decking and the railing. I may make a small roof out of plywood and 2x4's. Last year I put old carpet in my main tree stand and this helped in making it quiet as well as insulating it.

T
Old 03-02-2004, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I havce built many permanent (actaully semi-permanent) tree stands. We have 6 at our hunting camp and I have one at my house (as well as to totally permanent ones). I don't think I have digital pics of the stands, so I will try and explain (may have to charge a small copyright fee ). The stands are self supporting and nothing needs to be nails into the tree and they can be moved in needed. Basically 2 components - a ladder and a platform w/ seat. We use 2x4s for the ladder (most are only 8', 1 is 10'). The platform is framed with 2x6s and has 5/4" decking with a built in seat made from scap lumber (mostly 2x4s). Everything is treated. The platforms are either 4' wide x3' deep or 3'x3'. The ladder attaches to the front of the platform, is braced to the deck, and is slightly angled to ease climbing. The back of the deck sits flush against the tree. Most have a make-shift railing (2x4s) attched so we can lean guns against or hand gear on and to hang como burlap from. To hold the stand in place a chainis connected to the front face of the deck with an eye bolt, holes are drilled thru the back face to pass the chain thru and the re-attached to the underside of deck with another eye bolt. We make the chain as tight as possible by hand and them tighten the nuts on the eye bolts to tension. An wahla - your done. The construction is fairly simple once you get going. I came up with a "blueprint" one day and it has since been modified a few times with every new one being a bit better. We have assembled them totally and dragged them to the woods with a 4wheeler and have carted them out in 2 pieces and assembled in the woods.

Final thoughts: These stands work great for us. They cost about $100 if you buy all the hardware and materials. we use a lot of scrap lumber and the cost for some was only a couple 2x4s and the hardware (~$25). They are solid as a rock and roomy. I am a big guy and don't feel comfortable in a tree on something without some heft and room. The 3x3 is a bit camped but ok. They are heavy and take 2 men and a boy to put up. Anything over 8' you will struggle to get up without a block & tackle or some other way to raise it. My friend built some rather high ones (16'+) and used a backhoe to set them up. And like I said, they are portable (i have moved one already), but you probably would only do it if absolutely necessary.

note: i like these a lot better than permanent stands, mostly because there is less maintenance. As the tree grows it pushes out nails, boards, etc. and will eventually ruin the stand. With the other type, all you need to do is loosen chain every year or 2 (not more or the chain will grow into tree) and adjust the stand if necessary and tighten chain in the fall. Also nice to not have to run nails into trees.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

I built a stand last year 8X8 foot square. I really like it!

Old 03-02-2004, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

old guy that is a nice stand.
dough is this something similar 2 what you were talking about....

Old 03-02-2004, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think i may have found that on this sight. im not for sure
Old 03-02-2004, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Shootem up870, thats a nice design! I copied it down, I may want to build one!

Quick Reply: permanent tree stands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.