Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer moving in cold

Old 01-25-2004, 06:42 PM

Default deer moving in cold

I did some scouting today when the temp was around 6 degrees. It has been bitterly cold here in the northeast (NY) for quite a while and this was a good time to test the theory that deer don't move in extremely cold weather. Well, they do around here! I saw one make a dash 50 yards ahead of me and on the way home, around dark, one was near the edge of a seldom used road. The tracks where I scouted were numerous, and most of the cedar trees had tracks around them where the deer had fed earlier. Plenty of deer movement in this cold weather and lots of feeding going on. We started the day at 26 below zero and the days before were all sub zero. Deer tracks were at least 8 inches in depth as the snow has accumulated without a thaw. Neither bitter cold nor snow stop these deer from filling their stomachs... just wanted to share this with you.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: deer moving in cold

I agree with you. I used to think that deer didn't move in super cold weather. But I think it is more precipitation. Such as a rain storm or a blizzard. Not saying that when the first water droplet or snow flake cfalls they bed down, im sure they move, just not as much.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

i find that they still need food as well. it has been shown that in a cedar patch, it can be up to 5 degrees warmer. the deer around here stay in the cedars when its cold and windy
Old 01-25-2004, 06:52 PM

deer will feed more in sub-zero weather when the sun will shine on them for heat. they will not move as far, feed clser to the bed, uses less energy.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Where I hunt we see more feeding activity in extreme cold weather because the deer need more feed to keep alive.They also tend to move more just before and after storms or heavy snowfalls.They move the least during storms or windy conditions.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:16 PM

if their is a lot of orange in the bush they will still move at night
Old 01-26-2004, 09:36 AM

Well I always heard the opposite, the colder it is the more they move..and the colder it is the better the hunting.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:22 AM

Hello Sandy Creek! I'm in Rochester, NY and I know your area fairly well. It has been cold and I know you have been dumped on by the never ending Lake Ontario, lake effect snow guns. I scout year round so I'm not suprised you have seen activity. They need fuel and liquids just like we humans. I am sure they hate to leave the herded bedding areas but that gnawing hunger and thirst is survival. I have observed mid-afternoon romping about in a particular bedding area. It too acts as a survival tool. They chase about and get the body temp up just like we do to stay warm. You can see this activity continue for quite some time and then they all just plunk down again in a herded mass to share the heat. Amazing to watch their habits!!