Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Does the cold really get the deer moving? >

Does the cold really get the deer moving?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does the cold really get the deer moving?

Old 01-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Does the cold really get the deer moving?

Hey friends,
Here in Florida it's normally in the 60s now. This weekend is the last weekend for central Florida and the temps are supposed ot be in the upper 20s. Will this really get the deer movng and is there scientific proof?
thanks,
Chuck7
Old 01-05-2006, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Does the cold really get the deer moving?

I think this is very true. When we have a warm front move through, the deer seen are deffinately lower numbers. This is more during bow hunting for us. Deer rifle season, it is in the teens so the deer are always moving, unless it gets real cold like this year. (-10 temps are hard to hunt [:-])
Old 01-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

Yes, I believe it does. I seem to always see more deer when it is colder.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks gentlemen....I guess they are cold.

Old 01-05-2006, 06:47 PM

I think it does. When it is warm deer don't really feel like moving around much. IN drives it is harder to get deer out because they just don't feel like running with a big winter coat on. They even eat more when it is cold, from what I've seen.

[/align]
Old 01-05-2006, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I find up here in north Alabama that the deer tend to move more and later in the morning when there is a hard frost on the ground .. I dont think they like to browse while the grass or accorns are froze so they will wait for it to heat up a little after the sun comes up in the morning ... but yes it seems like they do move better when its cold ..

dd
Old 01-05-2006, 07:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hope so cause they sure havn't been moving the last couple of weeks for us.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:31 PM

It has been my experince that the cold will get the deer moving. Whenever a cold front has came through, I've seen tons of deer, especially after it snows several inches. Lately it has been warm here and the snow melted and I haven't seen squat for the last 2 weeks.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chuck, I'm sure the cold weather in the 20's will get those thin skinned deer down in fla. moving. The deer down there have little, if any body fat and I'll bet they'll have to move to stay warm. Here the deer have such a high body fat that it really doesn't make a diff when it gets cold, but the snow here will really get them a moving.

Bobby
Old 01-06-2006, 05:38 AM
Dominant Buck

thanks gents,

I will be out there. I thiught my season was over and have my stand with me..so I'll need to carry it back into the swamp at 5:00 and be real quiet. I'll sit till I can't stand it any longer. I'll see what the cold will do. I heardf the other day on Jeopardy that there is no such thing as cold weather ..just inappropriately dressed.I'll be wearing the right stuff.

No calls I guess huh?? I'm in a WMA so maybe some others will push the deer as well. As I was sitting in my new secret spot..I notived 2 other flashlightsthat is depressing. I am in the swamp on the edge of the inner dense swamp. The other 2 are on the other side of the dense swamp. One about 150 yds .the other about 300 yds. That is the problem about WMA hunting. Hardto get away.

Quick Reply: Does the cold really get the deer moving?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.