Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer vision at night

Old 01-17-2004, 11:36 AM

Default deer vision at night

How good do deer see when it is dark. Can they see us if it is dark?
Old 01-19-2004, 09:13 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-19-2004, 09:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: deer vision at night

They see better in the dark than we do, but not with the definition we do. They see movement far better than we do and normally a deer needs more than just a visual to actually spook, they need movement and the ability to make out your outline. The one sense that they will spook on all by itself is smell, if they smell you they are GONE!!!

I have on a few occasions when the wind is right been standing in the wide open and through staying perfectly still when they are looking right at me and moving slowly when they are not, been able to get extremely close to them, within 20 foot, talk about exhilirating!
Old 01-19-2004, 09:30 AM

they must see pretty good because you see them starting to move right at dark on fields and stuff
Old 01-19-2004, 09:34 AM

JMO but. . . .Deer see much better than we do after dark. Not up on all the technical terms but they have some reflecting stuff in their eyes that works much like your house cat. They don't see reds well at all and I have also read they have trouble seeing green light to. . .go figure.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:44 AM

I had hunted an area with plenty of tracks but never saw a deer. I decided to wait at a fairly hidden spot, all night if I had to, to see when the deer came out. After it became pitch black a deer snorted I'd say within 15 or 20 feet from me. I never heard it approach so the sound came without any warning whatsoever. Try as I might, I could not see that deer! Maybe it winded me, but the sound of the snort was so close and seem so focused on me that I'm sure it saw me. I felt the hair on my neck rise on that one,and realized how well deer can see in the darkest of conditions. I know it was truly dark out, and that deer was wandering around without visual impairment.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:56 AM

I scout quite a bit after dark. My nite vision is fairly keen but I know that I am no match for there vision acuity. Only way I get real close is with the aid of the prevailing winds. I post up downwind of trail & trail intersections, scrapes and rub lines. You can learn much by these up-close encounters in their playground. Often, I will not spot them until after I have smelled their musky aroma wafting my way 1st. That really is exciting because you know they are real close and yet not quite visable.