Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rattling in Alabama

Old 12-28-2003, 09:43 PM

Default Rattling in Alabama

I live in central Alabama and have been deer hunting in this state most of my life. The question I have is rattling in Alabama effective and if so what time or month is it most effective. I have tried it several times but no luck. I have had luck using a grunt call and urine sents but never rattling.[:'(]
Old 12-29-2003, 03:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rattling in Alabama

I've never had any luck with it (only tried it a few times), but I know some folks who have (one guy swears by it). Not sure what time frame.

I think Greg Miller says something in one of his books to the effect of "some people say that rattling only works in Texas. Phooey. Bucks spar and fight everywhere, not just Texas." (definately not his exact words, but the idea is the same)

I have also read that such tactics have less impact when the doe to buck ratio is too high (as it is in most of Alabama). The bucks don't care about checking out what the ruckus is about...they can sit still and let the does come to them.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Rattling in Alabama

In the new Quality Deer Management Association magazine there is a good article about rattling. I need to reread it, but the chart shows the response to rattling in the morning time of peak rut it 100%. This is based on response of radio collared bucks. The majority of the bucks were not seen, but the radio collar gave them away. If you are in the Montgomery area the rut is probably peaking in the middle to late January.