Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What should I use for rattling >

What should I use for rattling

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What should I use for rattling

Old 08-03-2003, 05:50 PM

Default What should I use for rattling

What is better for rattling, a plastic, store-bought set of antlers, or a set of real antlers?

thanks for reading please reply

[email protected]
Old 08-03-2003, 06:19 PM

Default RE: What should I use for rattling

real antlers, much bettter sound.

slayer
Old 08-03-2003, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, what deerslayer said... but if ya ain' t got em, you can get the storebought plastic ones. Science has come along way in imitating the real things! Even hardwood dowels are decent imitators.

Half the trick to rattling in a buck is rubbing yer antlers on trees. I have just used my boot to rub a tree with and scratched the bark. Deer are curious animals (I guess he thought it was another buck, rubbing) and have shown up in a few minutes. Yeah it' s possible they were headed my way anyway.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:45 PM

for compact and effectiveness...use a bag or the plastic banded tubes. i have rattled deer in with them. remember, deer arent that smart...they have great senses.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

REAL and dats, dat
Old 08-10-2003, 04:05 PM

I disagree with most, antlers that are on a live deer are much different than those that are sheds. They have a different consistency and imitation antlers are made to have the consistency of antlers that are on a live deer....in my opinion making them sound better and more realistic.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:24 AM
Fork Horn

shedded ones work real well. You may want to try and use 2 diffrent sheds IE from diffrent deer. I use a 4 point and a big burlly non typical. make a realistic sound.
Hope this helps
Old 08-12-2003, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sheds work well if fresh, if they are bleached and left in the elimates for a good period, I tend to think they sound hollow. I use a set off a 5x5 & 4x4 from kills a number of years back(like nicohal I use unmatched sets when rattling), they have great tone and have rattled in countless bucks with them. I don' t like rattling bags, b/c they don' t allow me to rake the trees, ground, etc which I have found is a big teaser for mature bucks in my neck of the woods. If I had to choose synthetics it would be the fake horns, as they would allow me to do the same technique I have found works!
Old 08-12-2003, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

I have heard a lot of people say they have had good luck with the rattle bags but I think the real thing sounds just a bit better.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:12 AM

if you think that using two antlers of a different size works better i can do that becuz i have an antler off of an 8 pointer ( lost the other one) and several off of 4 and 6 pointers. the gun season for whitetails in wisconsin doesnt start until mid nov. and that may be too late for rattling. although last year i rattled with the antlers off of a 6 pointer and a 4 pointer ran in towards my stand.