Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

HELP, I need advice.

Old 12-28-2003, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default HELP, I need advice.

Let me give you some background. I got permission to hunt this farm, Coopers, not alot of woods, mostly just 4 BIG fields and a creek line with some woods on these hillsides. I got permission because I have known them for quite a long time from going to church with them for years. I got into hunting 3 seasons ago(counting this season) so I asked and they let me hunt out there. Its only about a 2 min. drive from my house. There are some BIG bucks there. Its also a funnel property, when the guys on the other properties run deer around they all go to Coopers to go across the road to Southerns where they dont allow hunting.
There is a taxidermist in town, I live in a SMALL town, named Tom, who does REALLY good work. I have been goin in there since I was a little kid going in to just look and watch. He also guides people out west, in Africa, in Canada, and around Ohio. He used to bring guys in from outa state and hunt on properties around here untill the landowners found out about it. He isnt alowed to hunt on any property around here and one landowner kicked everybody except his neighbor out!
Tom got permission to hunt Coopers just before this season. Everything has gone good so far between me and Tom. We have always got along. One of his 2 sons killed a little 10 pointer on Coopers durring shotgun season.
Well, today there was a truck in at Toms shop. It had Maryland tags on it and Toms truck was at Coopers with 4 guys in it. Tom only has 2 sons so with Tom and his 2 sons that still leaves one guy without permission as far as I know of. Kowing Toms past and seeing that truck there at his shop makes me wonder if he isnt bringing guys in from out of state to hunt again.
I feel like I need to call over and tell Coopers what I saw. I dont want to be a trouble maker, or start anything I just think Coopers need to know. I dont know if they have given him permission to do this or not but knowing what he has done in the past and seeing what I saw today, I got this feeling that he is bringing guys in from outa state to hunt and it has gotten him in trouble in the past and I dont know if Coopers know he is bringing guys in, if they have OKed it or if he is even doing what I think he is doing.
I dont really know what to do. I want to call Coopers but I dont want my name mentioned. I am good friends with the Coopers and Tom is a buddy of mine, besides the fact that he is my taxidermist, and I dont want to make anyone mad.
This is a touchy situation. What would yall do? Knowing this could get him kicked off, knowing it has gotten EVERYONE kicked off, knowing I am friends with everyone involved, I dont really know what to do.
What would yall do in this situation?
Any advice?
Old 12-28-2003, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: HELP, I need advice.

If you want to continue hunting this property, you may want to ask the land owner some questions about who they've given permission to. If they later found out you had suspicions and said nothing, they may kick you off the land as well. If he is doing this without permission, he doesn't respect you or the landowners rights. I know this guy is supposed to be a friend, but it sounds like he may not have learned his lesson the first time. And is he a friend or an aquaintence? Could you call him at 4:00 am to pull you out of a mud hole and he'd gladly help? Or tell you to kiss off?

Good luck in doing the right thing.