Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer cams in Winter?

Old 12-27-2003, 09:22 PM

Default Deer cams in Winter?

I just got a Stealth cam for x-mas and am anxious to get it out. i was just wondering if it is worth it to put it out and where is the best place to put it? i know i want to put it out where i hunt to see if a big 10 made it through the season. any ideas for key areas where the deer move the most?
Old 12-27-2003, 10:02 PM

Default RE: Deer cams in Winter?

Cant hurt to give it a go for kicks. Assuming your site is secure, ie, not alot of folks stumbling through. If you have a concentrated spot, like a plot or feeder, set it up the trail you have seen him come in on most frequently. I read somewhere bucks don't usually use the main doe highways and I've seen it in practice. With the rut gone, they ought to be forming up bachelor groups again, but if you set it on a side trail that you have seen bucks use, you may avoid a parade of doe photos.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:20 PM

Wherever you set it make sure it is set up so the deer walk 15 ft or less in front of it. I have problems with the sensor picking up any further then that.The reason I know is I was in my stand and a deer walked about 20 ft in front and it did not go off. It was dark enough where it should of flashed. Also make sure it is about 3 ft off the ground. That height I found works the best. Take olgutshots advice on setting it up on a run that you have seen him use. I put mine on a feeder and get alot of pics of does. (Too many) their a neat thing to have. You will be suprised at the times of day you see the deer.I hunt more midday now then anyother time.
Old 12-28-2003, 07:00 PM

thnx your right about the time of day thing. i got one trail cam from my aunt to borrow and got a pic of the brute in the middle of the day! 12:30 that was pretty neat. hope to det it up near my stand next year facing a scrape that had been in the same spot 3 years running. hope to get a nice pic and be able to pattern the deer. thnx again.
Old 12-28-2003, 07:14 PM

One of the guys I hunt with strapped his to the leg of his feeder and got some nice pics at midnite before the season, but he kept running out of film, wasting it all on does, does, does
Old 12-28-2003, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just like placing a stand. Look for tracks and trails. Two major trails intersecting is the best. Mineral licks and food plots are good also. I set them up 2 to 21/2 feet off the ground about 7 to 12 feet from the trail. I move and check it every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. They're alot of fun and you can learn alot about your deer all season!

Good Luck!