Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 WV...How bad was the winter on the deer? >

WV...How bad was the winter on the deer?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

WV...How bad was the winter on the deer?

Old 03-05-2003, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default WV...How bad was the winter on the deer?

I' ve heard there was a fairly heavy kill-off. Anybody else seeing this?

I hope it' s not too bad...our numbers seemed a little low to begin with last year.

Good Hunting!
Old 03-05-2003, 10:28 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-08-2003, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: WV...How bad was the winter on the deer?

I think most deer that die during the winter will do so in late February and March, after their fat reserves have been drawn down to nothing. I went to my place about a month ago and didn' t see any dead, but fear many have died since. About 4 years ago, I found about 6 dead on my 120 acres, and others may have died I didn' t see. What makes this winter worse is that there were ZERO acorns in the fall to fatten them up. I am nervous about the herd health, despite knowing that several neighbors do feed them some corn.
Old 03-15-2003, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t feel so bad for thumping 3 yearlings with my bow back in Oct...
Old 03-16-2003, 07:40 AM

Doug, are you talking about AA county? Im in Calvert and we had the most spectacular acorn drop ever. How was the acorn crop in other areas? Im also worried about winterkill. We had the longest period of snow covering the ground that any deer has ever seen even if they were 10 years old. I have recently seen 3 road kills which are rare for this time of year.

Im off work the next couple days and I am going to sweep 2 properties looking for sheds and listening for gobblers. I hope I dont find any dead deer.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

If we don' t have a heavy kill this winter, WV will probably never see one. It has been a long, miserable winter for sure. I haven' t had a chance to check at our place, but I would think some died. There was a good acorn crop last fall, but 3 months of snow cover, including one storm of 37" , combined with cold temps most of the time would have to take a toll on them. Who knows, I guess we' ll see. It probably wouldn' t hurt if some did die off. Most areas are overpopulated anyhow. (at least where I hunt) I just hope my big one made it
Old 03-18-2003, 09:04 AM
Typical Buck

I hunted the Elkins area, Randolph Co., back in the muzzy season(Dec 16). We had a good snow for tracking and my bud and myself were done by noon the first morning.
The deer we jumped would not run more than 100 yds and then only ducked into the rhoddy thickets. When I dressed mine out I found out why. They were jam packed full of grass and rhoddy leaves. Not an acorn or scratchins for them could be found.
On skinning the deer at home I found it had very little fat reserves left. The deer were otherwise healthy but I fear that last storm may have done many of them in. Hopefully I' ll get back there for spring gobbler and will be able to follow up with a body count...
Old 03-18-2003, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

DougMD is correct, most people don' t realize March is the toughest month for deer. Some feel that as the snows begin to melt, and temps rise the deer are safe. When actually its the hardest on them. Like Doug wrote deer have used up their fat reserves, while also having used up their food sources. On top of the increased temps, it causes them to use more energy to get around with those heavy coats. So in some states you won' t get a good idea of winter mortality until April to May.
Old 03-20-2003, 12:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Natty Bumpo,

I am talking about my place in West Virginia. In Anne Arundel where I hunt, the acorn crop was decent. The deer here in Maryland have it much better than in WV this year. I hope the deer in the mountains made it down low and were able to get food there!
Old 03-25-2003, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found 4 dead deer this past weekend. I looked pretty hard, and saw several live deer. The ones I saw didn' t look too awfully bad.

Quick Reply: WV...How bad was the winter on the deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.