Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Electric vs. Gravity

Old 12-22-2003, 02:59 PM

Default Electric vs. Gravity

I hunt in Northeast Florida and always get several opinions on whether to construct gravity feeders or go with an electric. Some people say big bucks stray away from electric. What is your opinion?
Old 12-22-2003, 05:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Electric vs. Gravity

I've had a gravity feeder in my backyard for about 5 years that has corn in it all the time. I feed more rats, coons, squirrels, coyotes, dogs, crows and every kind of tweety bird you have ever seen.....and a few deer. If your intent is to hunt it, I would get an electric timed feeder and set it for about 6:00 AM and about 4:00 PM for about 8 seconds each. When the deer get use to the sound they will come, but I wouldn't count on seeing too many trophy age deer.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:15 PM

JaxHunter how's it going? Middleburg here. I hunt in South Carolina and the deer don't seem to mind the On Time electric feeders. In fact I think they do tune into the sound. I've had several feeders wake me up in the stand only to have a deer show up within 15 minutes. So go with the electric feeder. Later Gary
Old 12-23-2003, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard from several friends who have electric feeders and they all tell me it's like a dinner bell for the deer. When they hear it they come, it just takes a few weeks for the deer to come.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:19 AM

Thanks for the info.....I will probably do both on a couple different stands to get the best of both worlds.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

I have heard great things about the electric feeders as well. It's truly like a dinner bell going off and it sometimes brings them running, but it takes some time for them to get used to there be any food there for them. Once they find it, they are there for good....or until the food runs out.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:38 AM

I will probably start putting out the feeders in August to give them a little break-in time. Is that enough time for them to get used to it?
Old 12-24-2003, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know where you guys are hunting, but around here a feeder going off does not work like a dinner bell! I am sure that in some areas this is the case, but in most places, they come out when they get good and ready to. The good thing about timed feeders is that they can only get a certain amount of feed. With the gravity feeders I've used, they can empty one out over night when they want to, and/or coons and squirrels will empty them quickly too! Timed feeders are the way to go, and they do not scare deer away either. I've had deer under them when they go off and the deer will run off momentarily and then come right back. You are not likely to see a true trophy buck at a feeder in the daylight though!