Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Gravity feeder vs. "spreader" >

Gravity feeder vs. "spreader"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gravity feeder vs. "spreader"

Old 08-02-2006, 12:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Gravity feeder vs. "spreader"

I went to the Buckmaster's Classic show in Greensboro, NC this past weekend. Of ALL the things they had in there....this little gravity feeder (I'll post a pic, tomorrow....after I camo paint it) caught my eye the most.

For you guys with experience.......does it take a little longer for the deer to start using one of these? It's not THAT important....just wondering.

Jeff
Old 08-03-2006, 02:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Gravity feeder vs. "spreader"

I also painted this feeder with camo paint, last night. I'm gonna put it in the woods, today......but I'm hoping the smell of the paint won't ALSO keep 'em away.

It's 100 deg. here, today.....I'm sure it'll be DRY!

Jeff

(Before anyone asks....yes...baiting is legal in these parts.....and no...I don't hunt over it. I'm actually not even hunting this tract of land, yet. I just have a mineral lick there.....and now some supplemental feeding....and I want to see what's there ....via game cam, also)
Old 08-03-2006, 03:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

One warning about a gravity feeder- coons will rob it blind. Once they set in they'll eat and invite all their kin until there is no more.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Sounds like a recipe for an early morning "extend your hunting season" session!!

I've never shot a coon with the bow.......

Jeff
Old 08-03-2006, 05:11 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a slinger , gravity feeders promote nose to nose contact that can encourage the spread of disease , and I don't like feeding coons . When mine goes off all the coons are asleep , you can't set a gravity feeder for a specific time . Gravity feeders are good for nature watching and photography , but not for feeding deer .
Old 08-03-2006, 05:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

Sounds like a recipe for an early morning "extend your hunting season" session!!

I've never shot a coon with the bow.......

Jeff
Fun as hell man, just dont ask my cousin for advice when it comes to killing coons with a bow and arrow, he has a tendacy to hit them right between the eyes and then coons run off with his arrows and he tries to get the arrow back by beating the coon over the head with his Mach10, now upgraded to Mach12 because of just this. Its a good thing PSE has the best warranty out there.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:48 AM
Typical Buck

I have used both and have given up on the gravity if there is any coons in the area. I can't afford the corn they will go through and I have never seen them at the feeder in daylight hours. I do have lots of pictures w/ up to 7 coons in one picture-all at night. You also have to be sure you keep feed in you slingers as the coons will tear them apart when they run out. The more I think about it, I believe I will set some traps this year and try to rid the country of some of these little thieves.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

For anyone interested, I just picked up a corn feeder (spreader style) from sportsmans warehouse for $39.99 and it works great...you can program in multiple times, etc and it works like a charm.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:22 AM

Also deer like to browse while eating, a spreader is the way to go if you are after deer. I have however seen does/fawn nibble at a "pile" of corn but the bucks are always browsing the corn as they walk. Spend the extra few dollars for a better feeder, You will save money in the long run on not using as much corn.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

we use the broadcast kind as well. Having the corn spread out allows for more game to eat and also avoids the close quarters that has potentially been linked to spread of disease. I'm not sure where you are located, but where ours are, in the UP of Michigan, coons aren't the problem, it's the damn bears. They can really beat up a feeder. The spreaders are the way to go though for keeping an area baited with less maintainence. Our camp is about 50 miles away, so it got costly to go up every other day to bait, so we went with the spreaders and it has been real nice.

Quick Reply: Gravity feeder vs. "spreader"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.