Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

QUESTION... BUCK DUNG...

Old 12-18-2003, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default QUESTION... BUCK DUNG...

Alright, I have heard alot in the woods about buck poop... And that buck poop sticks together into a ball... And doe poop is just little pieces... If this is true which I don;t think it is, can someone give me some kinda proof on this... Or why this may happen if they are eating the same things, then it would seem to me it would come out the same...
Old 12-18-2003, 02:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: QUESTION... BUCK DUNG...

The only sure fire way is to taste!!!

Vanilla is a doe
Chocolate is a buck
Bananna is a fawn

I thought everybody knew this

It also explains why the buck poop tends to stick together, chocolate is more sticky than vanilla. The bananna and fawn poop is a marvel but I think it is b/c of a safety mechanism...throws predators off. I mean who'd ever think a monkey was roaming the woods...see ain't nature marvelous[]
Old 12-18-2003, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

not true at all. i was told this, and i just HAD to research it. (it was a rough and humorous travel.) i found that the consistency is based upon what the deer eats. if it is eating grasses and such, it will be more moist and stick together better. if the deer are eating alot of late season stuff ( acorns, bark, cedar branches, buds off branches, etc.) it is more hard packed and less moist, preventing it from sticking together. on farm property (like the one i hunt) the deer eat clover and alfa alfa all year round, resulting in a poop that sticks together. but on the public land i hunt, most poops are broken up b/c of a lack of green crops later in the year
Old 12-18-2003, 02:44 PM
Banned

Kobear has it right. The appearance of a deer's feces is determined solely by what's on the menu..not by what sex they are.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:58 PM

i agree with skeeter ...if you want to know with absolute certainty whether it's a buck or doe you got to taste it!!
Old 12-18-2003, 05:47 PM

actually i have never tasted (but i hear that the chocolate chunck is pretty good)

anyway it has seemed to be true for the trails that i have hunted and the deer that i have taken off them trails. but i can't say that i have ever seen the same deer i shot take a dump
Old 12-19-2003, 02:08 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with Skeeter. My nephew did this and that's what he said. His dad own's a deer farm. You have to go with the taste of it. The banana is wrong though. It tastes like apples. This is what he said.
Old 12-20-2003, 03:37 PM

On the deer hunt I seen some crap that was the normal little oval shaped, then I also seen a clump about the size of a gulf ball stuck together, it was right near a bag of apples..maybe one deer got to the apples before the other? btw this is bush country, not farmlands.