Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 HUNTERSFRIEND, LOAD OF DUNG? >

HUNTERSFRIEND, LOAD OF DUNG?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

HUNTERSFRIEND, LOAD OF DUNG?

Old 07-14-2005, 07:26 PM

Default HUNTERSFRIEND, LOAD OF DUNG?

I'm the newbie that has been asking questions on getting my first bow here for the last week or so, today I asked my boss who is an experienced bowhunter about Huntersfriend. He did'nt have anything bad to say about them specificly but he said for a beginer the concept of buying a bow over the internet that is tunned and sighted in according to measurments you send them is a load of crap!He said both the peep sight and sight directly mounted on the bow have to be customed tuned and you should be fitted for draw length by a pro. What do you guys think?

Also, I called the pro shop to ask about having a used bow custom tuned and he recognized that I was a bit overwhelmed about spending almost 800.00 for the Diamond Rapture package I looked at last week and he said he was getting in a batch of Bowtech TomKats that would go out the door package deal for about 550.00. This is much more reasonable and I would have the shop behind me if I dork things up like I do sometimes.

Metro
Old 07-14-2005, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: HUNTERSFRIEND, LOAD OF DUNG?

Your boss has some good advice. The best thing a beginner could do is to go to a proshop, get measured for proper fit, and have a professional assist you in setting up your bow. Hunters Friend may have some good deals if you know exactly what you want, but you will always have to fine tune your bow to how YOU shoot. Also, I wouldn't just jump on the tomkat package just because the price is right and somebody tells you its a good deal. You should try to shoot as many different bows from different manufacturers and see what you like best. What is right for me may feel terrible to you. After you try a bunch of bows, you should develop a preference, or at least narrow your decision down. The TomKat may just be the ticket, but you won't know until you shoot a few different bows. Also, a beginner should probably be looking for a bow with a high brace height, 7" or better, as a high brace height bow will be more forgiving and won't amplify mistakes due to your form. Good luck, let us know how you make out.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

He said both the peep sight and sight directly mounted on the bow have to be customed tuned and you should be fitted for draw length by a pro. What do you guys think?
That is absolutly true. Nobody can tune a bow for you without, at the very least, having you there to help make the right adjustments...not to mention shoot the bow. Personally I would opt for the Bowtech Tomkat package as you have the shop's expertise to back it up. Huntersfriend is a good deal but isn't for everyone.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:55 PM

RiStrut, he specificaly mentioned the brace height of the TomKat while we were on the phone, it's 81/2 inches.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

8 1/2 inches is pretty good. I'm a BowTech fan too. I'd definiitely try it, but don't limit yourself to it.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

That sounds like a boat load of money for a Diamond Rapture![&:]Package or not.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:54 PM

Well,basically the deal is the Rapture that lists for 399.00 plus top of the line sight, drop away rest, release, quiver, and arrows. He was honest and said I'd basically be saving 50 bucks on all the accessories. The big plus with going with the shop is the personal FREE service if I screw something up. From what I hear, as a newbie purchasing from his shop, he's the kind of guy that'll fix your bow no questions asked to a certain extent if you do something stupid.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would shop around. that diamond is a good bow, I have one. I could get you a fully loaded Mathewes Switchback for that 800 bucks. Seems quite abit high to me.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:36 PM
Typical Buck

We sell the Rapture for $369.99... and it would take one hell of a package to get it to $800!!!

The Rapture and the Tomcat are basically the same bow... but the package on the tomcat leaves alot to be desired.

I'd take the Rapture ($369).. put a CJ Deadnuts or Toxonics K9 sight ($60-65), a decent drop away ($50-75), Dozen Gold Tip Expeditions or XTs ( $60-80), release ($50),Simms Scoil stabilizer ($20), Bow case ($25-50)and misc sling, peep, silencers, ect... ($35)... that $720... and that's with everythinga bit on the high side. Could easily get it done for much less depending on your accessories.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:07 PM

The sight and drop away rest are the best he sells, it's what he has on his bow. If I get by the shop tomorrow I'll look and rememberexactly which models butI do remember looking at the sight in the glass case and the price tag was 125.00. Also remember I am having to pay taxes on this purchase which works out to be over 50.00

Quick Reply: HUNTERSFRIEND, LOAD OF DUNG?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.