Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What's a good hunting boot for cold temperatures? >

What's a good hunting boot for cold temperatures?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What's a good hunting boot for cold temperatures?

Old 12-14-2003, 04:13 AM

Default RE: What's a good hunting boot for cold temperatures?

I also hunt in WV near Blackwater Falls. For that area you need a durable boot that flexible and warm. I use Wolverines with 8oo thinsulate. That with 2 pair of socks does wonders. Make certain they arent tight as you have heard from others.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Robert< Mickey Mouse boot are the army issue boot for cold weather. The reason the toes are so big is because they have many different layers of felt incased in rubber.You only have to wear one pair of socks with them.

I was ice fishing on a river one morning,and stepped through a hole that had become covered with snow. Filled my boot with water and still fished for about three hours. It was about -10 far. I have spent alot of time on lake Ontario and Oneida lake and our local river Ice fishing in temps well below freezing. The day I mentioned in my other post was on lake Ontario and it was - 30 with no wind. I don't fish in a shante.

I laugh when I look through catalogs and see boots for $125-175 dollars.

They come in two colors black and white. The white are rated for colder temps. Here's a link so you can take a look.I've never bought from this place I got mine locally.

http://www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/store/item/US1616
Old 12-14-2003, 09:58 AM

had the same problem last monday .....bought a pair of lacrosse icemans on tuesday .....problem solved. They are rated to -80 degrees. I also walked for about two hours scouting in them and had no issues with weight or sweat.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the advice.

I have "Boundary" boots now that have a bit of insulation in them, but my toes dont' have a lot of room with two pairs of socks on. I don't think they sweat though. What is the recommendation, buying a pair that is one size larger than the one I wear?

Thanks again!