Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 any tips for hunting on cold windy days? >

any tips for hunting on cold windy days?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

any tips for hunting on cold windy days?

Old 12-12-2003, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: any tips for hunting on cold windy days?

To support what Taz said, I was hunting last week in a good wind and cold. I had still hunted for a couple of hours when I came to a field. There was a finger of thick cover, honey suckle, and woods that jutted into the field. This finger was about 70 yards wide and extended about 100 yards into the field. Since I had been walking into the wind, I was observing the downwind side of the finger. There were deer everywhere up against that finger of woods, some were bedded and some were eating the leaves and such. While I was using my binoculars to find a shooter, some idiot walked in the field from the other side of the finger and entered the finger from the upwind side. That eliminated my shot for fear of shooting him and then the deer winded him and scattered everywhere. He came out of the finger on the downwind side and never knew he had just scattered about 20 deer.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:57 AM

This is easy, stay in be grab an extra blanket or your favorite flask. Mainly slip hunt on cold windy days deer around here head for the pines
Old 12-12-2003, 07:30 AM
Typical Buck

In GA, I would walk the pine ridges in or near bedding areas and use the wind to cover the noise of your movements and scent. Deer feel pretty safe in the thick pines!!!
Old 12-12-2003, 06:49 PM

Hunt the lowest areas or be in the pines and cedars. Low pines and cedars would be best.