Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I feel sooo bad

Old 12-05-2003, 03:37 PM

Default I feel sooo bad

Well a couple days ago we got our first snow and I convinced my dad to go hunting one more time this year and take my muzzleloader since its muzzleloader season and he hadnt filled his firearms tag yet. We went to a biologic food plot thinking the deer would feed heavily before dark, and set up in a two person ladder stand. At 4:40 a nice 8 pointer came out and started feeding at about 30 yards, but I told him to wait and see if more deer came out. Finally at 5:00 another 8 pointer came out with a doe. The first 8 was about 125" and the second was about 105-110", we watched them spar and then fight hard for a little bit till the bigger won the pushing match. We have done management for about 10 years and the bigger buck was big enough, but after a lot of trying I convinced dad to take the doe and let the bucks grow a little more. We had watched all the deer for a while at about 30-40 yards and it was getting prettty dark so I told him to go ahead and take the doe. He shot ant the deer dropped, but when we got to her it wasnt a her, it was a spike with in horn about an inch long and the other broken off[:@]. I feel so bad that he cold have taken a nice buck, and I talked him out of it, not to mention killing one of our small bucks. We had looked closely at all the deer but with the fog and dim light we never saw the horn on that deer.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: I feel sooo bad

Jeez, I'm sorry to hear that happened. It was, of course, an accident; you were just trying to manage the deer responsible manner. Hopefully those big bucks will stick and around and breed some good trophy bucks in a couple of seasons.

Do you think you'll be able to get back out there with your dad before this season ends? You still might be able to scout around and locate the deer. How much land are you on?
Old 12-06-2003, 03:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

dont feel bad, you thought you were doing the right thing......it's meat.....
Old 12-06-2003, 03:49 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

What you did was horribly wrong. There is only one way you can make it better. When you are heating the pan, before you begin to melt the butter you place the large clove of garlic sliced in perfect halfs in the center of the pan. Then you bring the heat up very slowly so as to carmalize the garlic and liquify the butter. You have to make sure you don't raise the tempurature of the pan to quickly because you want the butter to be unscorched when you place the back strap slices in. If you feel really bad about what you did you can always boil down a can of coke into a thick syrupy glaze.

David
Old 12-06-2003, 05:22 AM

I would be ashamed! I would hang my head....over the stove while I was cooking him
Old 12-06-2003, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Sucks doesn't it? But don't beat yourself up over it, it was an honest mistake and could've happened to anyone.
Old 12-06-2003, 06:52 AM

Aught-Six We wont be able to get out together to hunt anymore this year, both of our tags are filled now and he doesnt bowhunt anymore. It was cool because it was the first time we actually hunted together, or sat together in probably 15 years. We hunt and live on the same 250 acre farm, we just usually hunt alone, but I wanted to go sit with him that day. Everyone is right about one thing it will be a good eater, that should ease some of my pain. LOL
Old 12-06-2003, 11:43 AM

hey it happens, dont beat yourself up, i understand that you wanted to hunt with your dad,well there you go time spent was good wasnt it? even though the turn out was'nt what you both expected, cherish it. I'd love nothing more then to go out with mine, but to an unreasonable line of thinking on his behalf i dont see him. I've tried but still he .......well you get the picture.congrats on your guys hunt!