Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sooo close

Old 11-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default Sooo close

I had one of the best mornings I have ever had in the woods thus far. I get to my treestand with 1/2 hour to spare before sun-up. I get a text msg, "is that you in your stand? if not someone is in it" I say yea. We didnt plan to hunt together today but it worked out that way and it came in handy. At 9:30 I see a nice 8 point. He walked down the hill to my left side and I get ready for the shot but he stays behind brush and walked out into an open area between woodlots that hold powerlines and the deer love to travel it. So I grunt at him to try to coax him back into the woods. I get a text right after I grunt. "BIG BUCK!" I said its a nice 8 I am grunting at him now. He said "No, Keep grunting this is a different buck that hears you. Well the 8 point goes out of site then a HUGE 10 comes down to my left also looking for a fight. Guys, this is the biggest buck I have ever seen first hand in the woods. As he stops in a shooting lane at 20 yards, I draw back. But thats where it ended, he only gave me a quartering to shot so I had to let him walk . I stayed in the same stand for the evening hunt and my buddy moved down and towards the powerlines. He spotted the big 10 twice tonight, with no shot
Old 11-01-2008, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Sooo close

yep sooooo close

he'll come back keep grunting

good call on quarting to
Old 11-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

Awesome!!! You made a great choice by letting him walk. Making choices like that is going to bring you alot of success and less headaches. Good luck getting another crack at him!!
Old 11-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most people would've let it fly! Great decision.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good restraint there. Awesome hunt!