HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I feel sooo bad
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2003, 03:37 PM
Angus74

Default I feel sooo bad

Well a couple days ago we got our first snow and I convinced my dad to go hunting one more time this year and take my muzzleloader since its muzzleloader season and he hadnt filled his firearms tag yet. We went to a biologic food plot thinking the deer would feed heavily before dark, and set up in a two person ladder stand. At 4:40 a nice 8 pointer came out and started feeding at about 30 yards, but I told him to wait and see if more deer came out. Finally at 5:00 another 8 pointer came out with a doe. The first 8 was about 125" and the second was about 105-110", we watched them spar and then fight hard for a little bit till the bigger won the pushing match. We have done management for about 10 years and the bigger buck was big enough, but after a lot of trying I convinced dad to take the doe and let the bucks grow a little more. We had watched all the deer for a while at about 30-40 yards and it was getting prettty dark so I told him to go ahead and take the doe. He shot ant the deer dropped, but when we got to her it wasnt a her, it was a spike with in horn about an inch long and the other broken off[:@]. I feel so bad that he cold have taken a nice buck, and I talked him out of it, not to mention killing one of our small bucks. We had looked closely at all the deer but with the fog and dim light we never saw the horn on that deer.