Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Hunting Shotgun season tips needed!! >

Hunting Shotgun season tips needed!!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Shotgun season tips needed!!

Old 12-03-2003, 08:59 PM

Default Hunting Shotgun season tips needed!!

Seems everytime shotgun comes around i see fewer and fewer deer. I know it is because they change their movements because they are being hunted heavy. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for finding them during the shotgun season. Anything will be helpful. Since ill be back out there this weekend lookin to take home anything. Thanks in advance
Old 12-03-2003, 09:11 PM

Default RE: Hunting Shotgun season tips needed!!

Escape routes leading to thick cover near a food source or water.

Deer will tend to hold up in an area under intense pressure. If they can get to a spot which provides the best security, like a greenbriar thicket, and which is relatively close to either water and/or food, then they don't have to travel far and risk exposure and being shot!
Old 12-04-2003, 12:19 AM

Avoid fields, or anyplace that can present long distance shots. Too tempting. The thick woods may present less shots, but they are of much better quality.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you hunt by yourself then do as EP stated, also look for escape routes with good cover that leads to the thick stuff, if other hunters are doing drives you can catch the deer going from one section of cover being driven to another. If you hunt with other folks than drives can work very well if you know the terrain and where the deer bed.