Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Still hunting advice please

Old 12-01-2003, 11:03 AM

Default Still hunting advice please

Used to hunt small game when I was younger , but will be deer hunting for what you could consider my first time this season. What tips can you give me being that I will basically be sitting against a tree waiting for some deer to trot by ? I have an H&R slug gun that I will be using. Is there any particular areas or part of the woods I should be in ? I know the basics like runs , scapes etc... but dont have a strategy.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:22 AM

Default RE: Still hunting advice please

Patients, being quiet, don' t move unless a snake is about to bite ya, one more VERY important thing make sure the wind is in your favor. Most of all enjoy the hunt it' s not about shooting it' s about being out in nature.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

I believe ' still hunting' refers to a stalking technique where you take a step only every few minutes at the most. This is a difficult technique which requires practice and LOTS of patience. I have scared off many deer this way, and only taken 1. Like model722 says, you are better off staying in one place, and being still and quiet (and hunt the wind). I mostly hunt from the ground, and I like to use a natural ground blind where I can hide my movements. Sometimes I sit in a ditch so they can' t see as much movement. When you go out to your hunting spot, move as quietly as possible so you dont scare off any ones that are near. I like to walk on tiptoes so it doesnt sound like human footsteps.
Also, a doe grunt call is useful. This year I used one to call a buck right to me. It can also lure in does.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:38 AM

let me rephrase ....I will not be moving around , will find a good tree for the morning and sit
Old 12-01-2003, 02:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Look for game trails. There aren' t much for woods here where I hunt but in heavy cover areas you can clearly see game trails. Another spot which pays off is often small water holes. This is really true in dry years or areas where water is scarce. Small open medows with good feed is a good place to sit and watch.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wind direction is paramount, keep it in your favour. Secondly find areas deer move through or are coming to, intersection of trails in covered areas area good bet, meadow or slough bottoms in the woods another good spot and if water is minimal and not frozen another good spot. If you know where the deer bed and they eat you can find these intersecting trails in midst wooded areas that are referred to a transition or staging areas, this simply means area where game transition from one area to another under realitively safe conditions(cover-trees,funnels/draws, low areas - not big open spaces). You must appropriate the wind direction with the animals movements, again use it to your favour not the deer. Other things to think about are concealment, shooting lanes, patience and keep your movements minimal, pan with your eyes not neck muscles Hunting field or food sources is another method to consider, in doing this you are best to find funnels, draws that force deer out onto one area of the field, then set up in the shadows if at all possible, deer will come out and feed in open areas during daylight hours if unpressured but more often than not they will lurk in the shadows(or just inside the tree edges) and await the safety of darkness beforing coming out to the field. If you can find a spot that deer use as a main entrance then back up into the cover and set up here vs on the open field.

Old 12-01-2003, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

When waiting be very aware of the surroundings and listen very attentively. Don’ t make any sudden movement either. Sit as still as possible.
I had a 5 x 5 buck come to me within 30 yards and didn’t know I was there until I pulled the trigger. What a rush. I had heard him before seeing him. So like I said, listen carefully.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:58 AM

Thanks for the advice
Old 12-02-2003, 06:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Most of all enjoy the hunt it' s not about shooting it' s about being out in nature.
This is something non-hunters do not understand.

slugman you have recieved some good advice, I will just add one thing, make sure you learn something every time you hunt, trust me you will make mistakes, I have hunted for over 40 years successfully and still make mistakes, but I try to learn from them.