Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

do you gut your deer??

Old 12-02-2003, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: do you gut your deer??

We hardley ever gut a deer. Hang it up and split the hide around the tendon and ham. Cut around the genatials and flip it back over the back. Cut out the rectum and let it fall in the deer.

Take off the hide down to the neck.
Cut the stomach meat down on both sides to the rib cage. The guts will hang out a bit but will stay in the deer.

Cut out the sweet meat/tenderloin.
Cut off the shoulders.
Cut out the backstrap.
Cut the spine at the hams and the guts and carcass falls into a tub.
Split the hams.

Then all you have to do is cut the feet off the shoulders and the hams and cut out the neck roast if you want it.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:15 PM

that is how i saw it done. i guess to each his own. but if you get it hung up quick i don't see why it wouldn't be just as good
Old 12-02-2003, 01:59 PM

Field dressing is done here in SC but I'd venture to say that it's not the norm. Most deer are hung, skinned, gutted and quartered.
Last year I saw the "gut free" method for the first time and thought it was pretty sweet!!! Using this method you get everything but the ribs and the chest cavity is used to carry the guts.(that's the sweet part if you don't have a big bucket)
farmcntry explained the steps perfectly.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:16 PM

We very seldom gut our deer in the field unless its the last day of the hunt or its especially warm that day. We generally wait until we are back at camp and either do it once we hoist it up the pole or take it off to the side and we've never had a problem with the dogs getting into the gut piles.

Crawdaddy
Old 12-02-2003, 02:28 PM

this is kind of on the same topic, but has anyone cut the meat off of a deer without it being hung up? can it be done? i dont necessarily have acess to anything i can hang it up on this season for a few hours, and i was wondering if this is possible.
raim
Old 12-02-2003, 04:56 PM

hey Raim, do you have any trees or anything around. i have hung a deer up with rope and a big oak tree. sometimes we have to be inventive. use your imagination. i have also hung them from off the back porch.

wife didn't like it too much but you gata do what you gata do
Old 12-02-2003, 06:27 PM

Raim Back the pickup or car trunk under the tree and you're deer is already a few feet off the ground before you loop the rope over the tree limb.