HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   do you gut your deer?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/44171-do-you-gut-your-deer.html)

click 11-24-2003 06:45 AM

do you gut your deer??

i was visiting with a buddy at his club and they were having a big drive that day so at lunch time we went back up to the cabin and there were several deer hanging on the racks being skent down but not one person field dressed their deer. i have always field dressed them but they just hung them up and skinned them. cut their back straps out and their hams and shoulders and they were done. alot less messy but never seen it done like that before. [:o]

do you gut or just hang and skin?

joeturse 11-24-2003 06:51 AM

RE: do you gut your deer??

Not if your driving with dogs.

Joe

click 11-24-2003 07:09 AM

why is that? what do the dogs have to do with it?

B&C Wanna B 11-24-2003 07:20 AM

Click, I believe it is because the dogs will eat the guts.

Tomster 11-24-2003 07:25 AM

All the deer I shoot I field dress. This way none of the gasses build up while it' s sitting there. Also, you could loose deer if you don' t field dress or gut soon enough. After it' s field dressed it gets hung up for getting ready for skining. Also without the guts and bllod, it' s much lighter for dragging.

click 11-24-2003 07:26 AM

but could you skip that even if you just shot it regularly? if you are going to tend to it fairly quickly it seems like you could hang it and skin it without gutting it. or am i missing something.

Tomster 11-24-2003 07:38 AM

Click,

Yes, you could but I find it' s easier to filed dress and gut while it' s on the ground. After spliting the gut open and cutting around the anus, plus removing anything attached the guts will spill out nicely. Also, I turn the deer over so that any blood will drain out. If the deer were hanging from the neck, you can gut as well but where we hang the deer it' s in a shed so I would not want the guts all over my friends shed. Either way works as long as the temperatures are low and you don' t wait too long since you don' t want the gasses building up.

Good luck...

Striper Phil 11-24-2003 07:47 AM

Can' t see how you would skin a deer hanging little lone cut the hams / hind legs off with out the guts spilling out all over the place. Yuck!!!

tj_cubin 11-24-2003 08:07 AM

striper phil, you dont skin your deer while it is hanging? i just assumed everyone did. Thats the way my dad and grandfather taught me

thegreatmarton 11-24-2003 08:14 AM

We ALWAYS field dress our deer. Then we hang ' em up and skin em. Then the whole crew gets together on Sat. and cut up the meet. Some of the people go in the house and start to fry up some of the loins with butter and onions. Then when we' re done cutting up we have a big feast!.... Yummy, I can' t wait till Sat.