Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Found plenty of blood but...... >

Found plenty of blood but......

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Found plenty of blood but......

Old 12-01-2003, 06:30 PM

Default Found plenty of blood but......

I just cant figure it out. I shot a 7 point tonight(called in with the can)quartering away. I thought I made a perfect shot. I shot him at exactly 4:20. I waited untill 5:45 before getting down. I followed the blood trail maybe 100 yards. It was definently blood from the vitals because it was pinkish and bubbly. I come to a spot and there was a massive pile of blood on the ground. It looked liked he was blowing it out his mouth and nose. Then the blood just stopped. I circled the area where the pile of blood was and couldnt find nothing. I didnt want to get to crazy and trample any leaves that had blood on it that maybe I couldnt see. So I decided to wait till morning. Im thinking he went back the way he come in double backed or whatever. What do you guys/gals think?
Old 12-01-2003, 08:10 PM

Default RE: Found plenty of blood but......

Thanks, you guys are making me feel alot better[&o]
Old 12-01-2003, 08:11 PM

Go back in the am Mike cause he isn' t far. Funny how sometimes they are right under your nose and you just can' t find em. You are most likely right about the swithback maneuver also any water or thick stuff nearby? Just be diligent and he will turn up!
Old 12-01-2003, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

He' s probably in the vacinity of the last blood you found. Try to distinguish between his and other tracks. If the blood is " pinkish and bubbly," then it is most likely a lung shot, so 100 yds is about it for that guy. He should be REAL close. Keep your hopes up and see what happens in the morning.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:30 PM

My stand is up on high ground and there is a swamp closeby that is about 1 acre and a 2 acre briar patch about 50 yards from last blood. The swamp starts about 100 yards from last blood. I didnt want to rummage through there and kick him up though, right.? Its 28 degreed outside so the meat will be fine. I hit him about a foot back and maybe a little low. 90% brown hair 10% white hair.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was good to let him go till morning. If he went into that briar patch, he probably bedded down to expire, so not gong after him any farther is a good idea. 28 degrees is plenty cold enough for the meat not to spoil.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:28 PM

yeah that was a good choice to wait until morning. I am only fifteen but have killed 5 deer in the two years i have hunted and most of the deer i have seen hit run downhill. not sure if that would help you any but i thought i would try at least.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

You did well in waiting until morning, you will have a lot more light and you may be able to see blood this morning you couldn' t see yesterday, that and as others have said that deer is very close to where the pool of blood is, the blood you described is lung so he is down and out now.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:12 AM
Fork Horn

Mike where the last blood was found look for the thickest meanest clump of dead wood or brush thats where he' ll be!!!..........seams like the know there are mortally wounded and go for deep thick cover.

Good luck and stick with it!! You owe it to your deer
Old 12-02-2003, 07:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

The deer is dead take your time he isn' t far.

Quick Reply: Found plenty of blood but......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.