Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

do you gut your deer??

Old 11-25-2003, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: do you gut your deer??

Messy?? I dont see where it is too messy. I just carry a supply of latex gloves like the ones we have at the firehouse on the ambulances in my pack. I put them on and I can have a whitetail gutted in about 2 minutes. I know some people who cut all the way up to the throat to gut on. I just cut off the rear glands and put them in a bag to freeze to use later, cut aroudn the anus, carefully cut from the pelvic bone to the sternum reach in and cut away the muscles holing the guts in, reach up into the chest find the windpipe, cut and pull it out by the wind pipe. Everything comes out in one nice pull. turn it over let it drain and your done. I either use a creek or my water bottle if there is no water near by and rinse off my knife while the deer is draining.

The down side to being able to do it so quickly and effectivly is that when ever anyone I am hunting with kills one they con me into gutting theirs. Nice thing is I never run out of venison(never said it didnt cost them for me to gut one)
Old 11-25-2003, 06:28 PM

I' ve never known any other way than to dress them right there on the spot, no matter what, and it doesn' t takle long, so you could be back hunting within an hour or so if you knew wut you were doing.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

In that i don' t have the luxury of being able to drive any vehicle to my deer, i always field dress it on the spot, saves me draging out that extra weight. i am just curious what some of you are referring to as the tenderloin. I always thought it was the strips of meat located on each side of the backbone on the outside of the deer after the skin is removed. i know there is a fillet on the inside that is also removed, but the tenderloins can be removed without skinning the deer all the way.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:38 AM

Lee,

Yes, tenderloin and backstraps are basically the same thing. They are both some of the best meat on the deer and they reside on either sides of the back bone. I believe the question was around if you had to gut the deer at all. We have said yes, since you need to get to these straps and I said to prevent gass buildup.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:30 AM

my buddies grandfather worked for the Pennsylvania Game Commission for 40 years and they' ve cut thousands of deer by cutting the deer' s throat in the woods, drag them out and took them to the barn, hung them up, sliced them open and let their guts fall into the bucket. then they skinned them and then cut them up.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

#1 If the weather is cold and I can get a deer home within 45 minutes I gut them at home otherwise I gut them in the field.

#2 Anyone who claims they properly butchered a deer with out gutting it is fooling themselves because they are wasting a whole bunch of meat! To me they are just a step above a poacher who kills a deer, cuts out the backstraps and leaves the rest to rot!
Old 11-26-2003, 07:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

#1 if it is cold enough and I can have the deer home in 45 minutes I gut it at home, otherwise it is done in the field.

#2 Anyone who thinks they have properly butchered a deer without gutting it is fooling themselves, they are wasting a lot of good meat! To me this is just one step up from a poacher who kills a deer, cuts out the backstraps and the hindquarters and leaves the rest to rot!
Old 11-26-2003, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

i always gut it in the field.. however, i do something differnt than most. i never touch the anus or bladder. it saves a lot of time in the woods. ive been called out for this, but the way i process the deer, the anus and bladder are never touched. i skin my deer from the head down. when i get to the hindquarters i cut around the hip socket and leave the bladder and anus hanging inside the cavity-which is discarded. keep in mind that 80% of the time i quarter it the same day i kill it.
Old 11-27-2003, 02:47 PM

I dress mine where it lays. makes the drag home easier. being i dont have
access to atv and getting a vehicle to where normal end up up is impossible.
--plus if watited to dress it out in bk yrd my wife i dont think would be overly impressed---then id end up having to lug remains bk into the wooda anyhow.
Old 11-27-2003, 03:01 PM

any animal i have ever shot has been within 5 miles of home so i usually just run home and get the tractor, load the animal on a pallet and haul them back to my farm. Then i hang the animal by the back legs off of my loader on the tractor. Gut and skin out the animal while i have it hanging on the loader. This method is nice and slick for me but i know not everyone has this advantage.

Quick Reply: do you gut your deer??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.