Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

do you gut your deer??

Old 11-24-2003, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: do you gut your deer??

We always gut or deer at the kill site and we have no problems with our dogs eating the guts. Most times the gut sack is gone within a day or two, eaten by all the scavengers.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:10 AM

well yall are right along with what i was thinking. i have always field dressed my deer right where i found em. and this was the first time i had seen anyone do the whole process without gutting it. it worked for them and they had the meat in the cooler in about 25 min. that is what i liked about it.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:52 AM

Cooling the meat down after the animal is harvested is important. Almost as important as those tenderloins that can not be cut out without gutting. The guts and hide hold alot of heat in the animal. We gut them before dragging them out and depending on where we are hunting get them skinned out right away, or iced down.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:53 AM

Immediately after I harvest an animal I take it to camp. At camp I will skin it with a winch about 5 minutes then I gut it. From kill point to getting it gutted takes about 35 minutes. Sometimes I hunt places where ATV' s cannot be used. It' s place like those that I will field dress a deer to make the deer lighter.

Jason
Old 11-24-2003, 10:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

One day someone will tell them that the best piece of meat on a deer is the tenderloin that you cannot get to without gutting the deer.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:25 AM

always gut your deer. meat can get spoiled if its not done. timbercruser is right the backstraps can be optained by guttin
Old 11-24-2003, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

Yes thats the way we do it. Only we do it in the woods. When we shoot a deer its back to the truck to get our gear. We bring in a deer hoist( gambrel and rope with a couple of pulleys ) Hang the deer up by the rear hocks. The deer is skinned,The head cut off and retained with the tag for transport. The front legs cut off just above the knee, then the front shoulders are removed and bagged. Next we bone out the loins and any neck meat. That too is bagged. The next step is to make a small opening into the body cavity from the pelvis down about 12" this will enable you to remove the tenderloins. The guts are still in the rib cage. Next we cut the ribcage and backbone free of the hams. The pelvic bone,and backbone are then cut to seperate the hams, and the hind legs cut off just above the knee. The resulting 2 hams are bagged. All the bagged meat is put in a pack frame and carried out of the woods. We leave the hide,guts,ribcage and backbone in the bush. The good meat comes home and is put in the fridge to cool out. The following day we de-bone and cut up the chilled meat into roasts and burger meat. We don' t do steaks. If we want steaks we take a roast from the freezer and when 1/2 thawed cut it into steaks.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

If I get a deer on my land and its cold and windy then I take them right home and skin them and then gut them hanging by the back legs. However I usually field dress them right away on the spot.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:13 PM

that' s a new one to me.
i thought everybody gutted their deer right in the woods. i hunt in the mountains of pennsylvania, it' s a touph drag...... i can' t even imagine dragging one up a mountain with the guts still in there.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I am hunting with someone, I test the waters and say to them, " Hey, do you know how to field dress this thing" ? Sometimes this statement works, but not always twice on the same person. Bobby

Quick Reply: do you gut your deer??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.