Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New deer hunter, Need advice.

Old 11-17-2003, 09:17 AM

Default New deer hunter, Need advice.

Hey guys. Some of you may of seen the post i did in the guns forum. I' m a new deer hunter, just starting to get into it. I need some advice on what to do-When i' m in the woods, i just flat out don' t know what to do. I' ve taken squirrel, birds, but never a deer. Thanks.

Also, Are there any hunters in virginia that could point out some places to go hunt in the spotsylvania/fredericksburg/manassas area?
Old 11-17-2003, 09:49 AM

Default RE: New deer hunter, Need advice.

well i can give ya some advice, i was a new hunter 3 years ago and i asked the same question.

~always listen to the older hunters, they know everything going on.
~Know your area where your hunting (Map, Compass)
~Be aware of other hunters around you, when walking in you may see trucks lined up on the side of roads, make sure you know where they are so u dont shoot in there direction.
~Always have your gun on safe, even if your doing a drive and need to get a quick shot off.
~Follow the rules, begin when shooting begins and dont shoot after it ends.
GOOD LUCK
hope i helped somewhat
Old 11-17-2003, 10:17 AM

I' d go into the T.R Tips forum and you' ll find more then enough info to get you started.

Welcome to the sport and the board.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:20 AM

Welcome to the board! Important things to do ...

1) Practice.
2) Practice.
3) Practice some more

As far as Virginia hunting areas, check out the VDGIF site and look at Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs). C. F. Phelps is between Culpeper and Warrenton, and Amelia is not too far southwest of Richmond. There are a bunch of other ones listed on the site - check them out.

Good luck!
Old 11-17-2003, 11:10 AM

Joystick, You helped alot. Thanks alot and i will be sure to check out the other forum. Cheers.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey, MossyOak02! I' m new to hunting as well, but I cannot recommend www.whitetaildeer.com (part of huntingnet.com) enough for some excellent introduction articles. You' ll see the links at the top left of the home page. They really got me started in the right direction.

I live in Prince William County, and although I haven' t hunted here, I know that the competition can be pretty tough. Like Joystick99 posted, check out the VDGIF web site. Until I can afford some land of my own, I' m going to scout the state WMAs for action, particularly down near Roanoke.