Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

blind or stand

Old 11-14-2003, 05:55 PM

Default blind or stand

[ which is best for bow hunting ground blind or tree stand ,I would prefer, ground
blind for quick sets ups as I move around a lot which would be more effective
Old 11-14-2003, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: blind or stand

It really depends on the location. Tree stands work in mors places than a bround blind. Although a good ground blind can be effective. The tree stand will raise your scent envelope away from the deer in close.
Old 11-15-2003, 08:11 AM

i agree with big guy but if ya move a lot then a blind may be the best thang but if you have time and the money and the trees i would build my own tree stands because they do make it harder for deer to smell ya also givin ya a better shot but seein how ya move alot i would go with mabe both build a couple tree stands and a couple of blinds
good luck
Old 11-15-2003, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would opt for the tree stand. If properly placed, a treestand will get you up out of a deers line of sight and in most cases will also allow your scent to dissipate. If the trees in your area will allow it a good climbing stand from Summit, Lone Wolf and many others would allow you the ability to move around easily. A good quality hang on stand with some climbing sticks would also work well.

I used to build my own permanent stands but found my success went up once I started moving around with climbing stands and hang on stands. This way I can move to where the freshest sign is.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a tripod, it put' s you up there and are easily moved from location to location. I believe yor better off up high than on the ground for sure. I have a 12 footer but they come in 14 and 16 footers for around $ 200-250 $. PS they are very comfortable and give 360 degrees of shooting
Old 11-16-2003, 10:02 AM

I have 3 blinds and love them all! I have had deer come up and actually rub their nose on the outside of them! I could have used my thermos and smacked them upside the head!
Old 11-17-2003, 11:14 AM

I prefer to hunt from a treestand while bowhunting. My motto is the higher the better.

There are places a ground blind will work well but you' ve got to brush them in good and let them sit a while.

Old 11-17-2003, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt treestands almost exclusively. Many times when I shot a deer others were directly under me or even down wind. I prefer to be up about 20 ft with the bow. My gun stand this year is 40 ft up. No BS, my gear ropes are 20 ft long and it took two of them to reach the ground. The stands with brackets are also very easy to relocate very quietly. With my old T-lock stand and 7 tree steps I can be 20 ft up a tree and in position in 5-10 minutes with very little noise. A couple of times I have set them up in the dark of early morning only to have deer around me by the time I was pulling my bow up. Those " old" does are really smart and will pick you off very easily and the big bucks sure like to follow those smart does. Also, I think you get shots at more " relaxed" deer from above.