Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New Hunter;Advice Welcome >

New Hunter;Advice Welcome

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Hunter;Advice Welcome

Old 08-02-2007, 04:15 PM

Default New Hunter;Advice Welcome

Hello, I'm new, not only to bowhuntingnet.com but to hunting and bowhunting in general. I'm 14 and shoot a Bear Odyssey II set at 40# @ 26 1/2 inch draw(but I might get it extended to 27"). I'm interested in deer, hog, turkey, and smaller game on occasion. I have a limited budget for camo, new arrows, broadheads, etc. If anyone has any tips for me, please post them.
I have never hunted before but am a very good shot. I'm in South Florida if anyone knows any good hunting spots please tell me, I'm planning on going to the JW Corbett WMA.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:21 PM

Default RE: New Hunter;Advice Welcome

first of all welcome to here and to the sport...i hope you enjoy it as much as we all do...the one and most important thing is to be patient...patient....patient...good luck
Old 08-02-2007, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome! There is a lot of quality information hear! Fire your questions away,there are a bunch of very decent people here who are also excellent hunters.Seeing a young person with passion for hunting touches something in all of us!
Old 08-02-2007, 04:27 PM

Check this out. You will learn alot.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2164747

And again have lots of patience. In the 14 years I have been hunting I have only had sucess with deer 6 times, but cherish each one.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:55 PM

Thanks guys!!! I'm looking into the whitetail deer guide right now.
I just wanted to say that if anyone else is going to give me any advice on stuff, that I will not stand-hunt. I will only stalk(or still-hunting as its sometimes called) and will only call to find an animal to stalk.
Thanks for the advice and encouragement again. What broadheads do you recommend? I don't like mechanicals or regular broadheads more than the other, but like I said money's tight(cause my dad makes me pay for all hunting gear besides clothes) and I'd like some recommendations on broadheads that are reliable b/c cost is irrelevant if they will last(of course $12 each is a bit of a limit).
Old 08-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the board...
Old 08-02-2007, 05:27 PM

Welcome to the world of bowhunting, you'll be addicted before you know it. In addition to patience the biggest thing to know is that accuracy is your best asset. My suggestions would be to obviously practice every chance you get, really get your form down to instinct so you don't have to think about it. Even if you can't get out to shoot, just draw your bowover and over inside to get you anchor point consistent every time. I would recommend a peep sight for your bow if there isn't already one, that really helps a beginner. Also I would work hard at getting that draw weight up around 45#'s. (Just my opinion) You'd be surprised at how quickly you'll gain arm and back strength just by doing push-ups every night. As for broadheads, since you'll be pulling less weight, I'd go with 125 grains heads. Also, since money is an issue (as it is with all of us, regardless of age) check out Magnus Rothaar Snuffer BH's.They aren't the best, butyou get six to a package and the can be sharpened so they should last a few seasons. Also come in 125 or 150 grain for those hogs. They go for $26.99 thru cabela's, I picked them up at Bass Pro for a few dollars less. (If you want to look at them on cabela's.com the # is MW-41-0348-125) Good luck, and don't get frustrated if you're not successful right away.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

and you'll find what you your looking for inhere(sometimes it may take a little patience though).
Old 08-04-2007, 10:42 AM

Thanks for all the encouragement and especially the broadhead advice from patrickmc. I cant get my draw weight above 40# b/c thats the bow's upper limit(or can it be raised? I read about "bottoming-out" the limbs. Is that what its called?). I can pull 70 but I love how long I can hold 40#. And I just bought that bow so I need to shoot it for at least a year or my parents wont pay for the new one.
My dad isnt against hunting or killing the animalsbuthe doesnt wantto(or me to)cleananything bigger than nutriaso I need to find somene to go w/ us. But everyone at my BPS is really nice and everyone we asked said that they'd be willing to go.