Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 new bow hunter needs advice >

new bow hunter needs advice

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

new bow hunter needs advice

Old 11-06-2003, 07:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default new bow hunter needs advice

I' ve been shooting bows for about a year now but only at targets. I just now started deer hunting with my bow and have shot twice at deer and shot low both times. I' m in a 15' ladder stand somewhat downhill so probably about 10' above level with the deer and about 20 yards (or less). Do you need to aim higher when shooting down? I' ve seen pendulum sights - do they compensate for this? Or am I just missing my target? I even shot some arrows at my target after the first miss but was still right on. Now just missed another. [X(]
Old 11-06-2003, 07:57 PM

Default RE: new bow hunter needs advice

Practice as much as possible from the stand. If your shoot broadheads that are the same as your field points (I shoot Spitfires), you can always aim at a leaf with a practice arrow. I do this every hunt to make sure my sights aren' t screwy. (You can use a practice broadhead too). I always aim at the junction of the bottom and middle thirds of the deer' s body. That way if it ducks I get 2 lungs, if not, I may get 2 lungs, I may get lung and heart.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:01 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks. ortho. I am using mechanicals (forget brand). So you think I' m just missing? You use same yardage pins whether in stand or on ground?
Old 11-06-2003, 08:07 PM

I' m not sure exactly what you are doing but I do not change how I aim based on height.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:35 PM

Make sure you follow through by holding the sight on your target until the arrow hits.If you drop your bow arm you will shoot low.

CB
Old 11-06-2003, 10:58 PM
Typical Buck

I think cajunbowhunter is all over it. Yardage is yardage. Looking up at the fleeing deer will cause you to shoot low every time.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

I hardly ever hunt from a tree stand, but the advice I have heard given by those who do it all the time is to make sure you bend at the waist. I practice from a 10 foot elevation which is about half way between ground level and tree stand height and still hit dead on from level ground so I would imagine I would be fine from 20 foot up.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:41 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks all for the advice. I' ll keep working on it.

aero
Old 11-07-2003, 07:25 AM

Are your field tips and your broadheads shooting the same?
Old 11-07-2003, 10:13 PM
Typical Buck

Sitter,

Yes. I re-checked after the first miss just in case something got out of whack but still on target with the broadheads. I' m thinking it was bad technique. It was dusk and I probably rushed them. I have been getting a pretty good number of deer so hopefully I' ll get more chances soon.

Thanks

Quick Reply: new bow hunter needs advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.