Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Blind vs Stand

Old 03-08-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Blind vs Stand

What have you used the most and why?
I ground hunt and seem to do better than my buds in the stands every year. But with some of these new stands look to kind of comfortable. I maybe just tempted to try one.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:14 PM

Default RE: Blind vs Stand

I have ground hunted ever since I started, but im starting a transition over to treestands because this will be my first year using a Bow. I used ground more because I never had any reason to get into a stand I can find equally good blinds on the ground as I can in a tree.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

This next year I will be hunting from an Ameristep ground blind for the first time. I hunted from the ground for many years, before I started bow hunting, then when I started bow hunting, I switched to a ladder stand.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:28 PM
bigcountry

My luck with deer increased 10 fold with a treestand. I always saw does from the ground when I was younger but never saw huge bucks. You increase your visibility by 3 or 4 times. I feel they are safer when hunting flat land. And when I changed over to treestands, I finally start seeing the decent bucks from a distance so I can prepare for them to get in bow range.

If I was hunting mountainous country again, I like blinds.

Old 03-08-2005, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I live in north Alabama where we have some mountians and I hunt out of both. I use my lockons and climber for bow hunting but when rifle season opens, if the wind gets up and turns cold I go to the Lucky's Tent blind and have had a good bit of sucess out of that. We also use tripod stands that seem to work quite well.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

There's no question IMO the advantages of hunting from a stand far outweigh a blind. You have a lot better chance of getting a mature buck within bowrange. However, nothing quite beats the rush of being on eye level 20 yards from a buck and trying to manuever for a shot. I love the challenge of ground hunting.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

It all depends on where I'm hunting ---- I've got one spot that sits on the ground next to an old barbed wire fence (I use a post to prop on) and consistently take deer from it ---- other places I wouldn't dream of sitting on the ground. The best bet is to be flexible, don't tie yourself up one way or another ---- success is where you find it.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:56 PM

I've been in a tree for about 20 years now, and every year I get a little higher. It seems the higher you can keep your scent the better. My limit is 25ft, any higher lowers your percentage on shot angle.But nothing compares to taking a deer from the ground by bow!!!
Old 03-09-2005, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

I use tree stands all the time, i used ground a couple but more comfortable in a tree. I have heard if you set up a ground blind that the deer will know that somethings out of place, but if u have a stand set up there for a while they get used to it.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:58 PM

Hunted everything from big box blinds in the sky to squating behind a cedar bush depending on where and when they all seem to have worked.

Quick Reply: Blind vs Stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.