Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

new deer rifle suggestions

Old 12-27-2020, 02:14 PM
Banned

Default new deer rifle suggestions

hello all- looking to upgrade my deer rifle. my remington 710 feels cheap- because it is- and the bolt release lever is a horrible design. I'll keep it as a backup beacuse its not worth anything anyways. anyway I want a bolt action in 30-06 , lightweight , would prefer a detachable magazine . i like the the accu trigger thing too but not a huge deal. less then a grand . I won't be shooting much over 200 yards. Let me know what you think thanks
Old 12-28-2020, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

https://www.browning.com/content/bro...alker-NDT.html

Ive found these browning rifles to be a good value, Id certainly consider one if I wanted a quality rifle at a decent price
obviously, shop carefully they have a fast 60 degree bolt and detachable magazine and can be had in synthetic or wood versions

https://www.sporting-rifle.com/revie...0fox%20control.

https://www.biggamehunt.net/reviews/...stalker-review

Last edited by hardcastonly; 12-28-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

What caliber is your Rem 710? Also, there is a safety recall on them from back in 2002 or so for safety detent springs. You should be able to check on Remington's website to see if your rifle is affected or not. Do you have a budget for your new rifle? That would help with recommendations.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

about any GOOD bolt action hunting rifle can be had for less than a grand
I'd suggest going to some larger gun shops that have a wide selection rifles and holding as many as you can and see what FITS YOU best!
as what I like and what fits me, may NOT be what fits you or you like

there are many rifles that have been about for a LONG time for a reason, rem, 700 line, Winchester model 70's and so on!
ALL them have now branched out into several configurations, to get YOU what you want

you can also search MFG's web sites to see model's, make a list of what you like and THEN again go shoulder them, work there actions, feel there safeties and dry fire them to see what you LIKE and fits you best

also maybe keep in mind if your looking for a light weight hunting rifle, maybe set down to a smaller caliber, less recoil shorter actions and will be lighter pending make model than a 30-06 will be!

I own several light weight rifles from factory to custom built in the 7mm08 caliber and been deer killing machine for me, as well as many other species of like sized game.
from up close and personal to past 400+ yards NO problem when I do my part!
but there are tons of great whitetail deer calibers out there that can be had in lighter weighting rifles without the recoil of a light weight 30-06,
lighter the rifle the more recoil will hit you!
so food for thought maybe!

Old 12-28-2020, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

MRBB makes a valid point , given the stated use Id have gone with a 25/06 synthetic stalker version,
I've seen several ELK killed very convincingly with a 257 roberts,
so a 25/06 ,is surely up to the task of dispatching deer with a precisely placed shot ,
made by someone familiar with deer anatomy

https://www.speer.com/bullets/rifle_...t/19-1415.html

Last edited by hardcastonly; 12-28-2020 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:17 PM
Banned

The rifle I have now is a 30-06 and recoil is not an issue- I like the caliber - old school and does the job really well. just wondering what makes/models some other people have and what they like or dislike about them that might not be obvious when looking at them in a gun shop
Old 12-29-2020, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes I got you have a 30-06 now, but when you go to a LIGHTER rifle in same caliber, your going to notice MORE recoil, due to the rifle being lighter,, its how rifles work!

as for specific ridfles to look at again
REm model 700's are the most copied action in the world, for many reasons
SO< they are a good rifle to look at
but also as stated, all the long time models have proven track records,
Win Model 70's, browning A bolts, Sako's 85's , and a whole bunch of newer guns that have many great features copied from the best of the one's mentioned!

but they all pretty much have different stock shapes, lengths of pull, trigger/pistol grips designs, different degree throws on bolts and so on
SO, honestly what I or anyone else likes, , it will still come down to what YOU like and what FITS you best
as a gun that fits YOU<> YOU will shot better than one that doesn't fit YOU, but fits me!, if you follow!

Most ALL good gun shops carry most of the most popular rifles, due to again there the main sellers
they also tend to have the most aftermarket support(hard to beat remington in this dept)
as this then makes adding or changing things easier
can also be cheaper to get parts/add ons for as well
as the more popular and longer running models, costs are cheaper to make parts for them due to they been around a LONG time and as such SO many make parts(scope mounts, triggers stocks, and assorted replacement parts or UPGRADED parts)
when more company's are into making same parts they tend to compete for business and as such prices tend to then be better or more options or??

SO again, A rem 700 would top my list here if you wanted an exact make model

I also would suggest you maybe learning some of the benefits of different calibers, if your wishing to have a smaller lighter rifle
Short action calibers make for less metal on receiver thus less weight, smaller calibers than your 30-06 will then have LESS recoil in a lighter / Smaller gun
there is NOTHING wrong with a 30-06, I own several
but they do have more recoil than is needed for deer hunting even in larger rifles, and I am NOT recoil shy, (I own many MUCH larger caliber rifles with 2-3+times the recoil of a 30-06)
but I do 100% fully appreciate the advantages of some slightly smaller calibers and there less recoil for deer hunting, making lighter rifles to carry as well as shorter one's(30-06's can be had in shorter versions too so NOT saying they cannot, but you will most times get more recoil again due to caliber)

a s for ME with dis likes on some rifles
and I mean NO disrespect to them or those that liek them
I have never been a fan of Ruger rifles that use ONLY ruger style scope mounts, way too limited on options IMO
Savage's, as accurate as so many I have shot and owned have been, I find them some what crude, even there higher end one's

WInchesters have a dis like maybe (sadly) due to they changed owners so many times and every time there were quality changes in there rifles
same as with Weatherby rifles
and in the 15-20 Weatherby rifles I have owned, I have NEVER owned one that shot very well, YES I know many that have tack drivers, I just was never able to BUY one of them and I TRIED for yrs, from german made to China to USA made one's!I just never had luck
and YES I DO STILL own some , but they don't be what I call very accurate rifles compared to others I have!

when you get into other brands, again, many are just plain harder to find parts for !

SO< for ME< rem WIns the rifle game!

and I am NOT saying other brands DON"T make GREAT files, many do
just if I was to suggest a out of box rifle, Rem 700's are hard to beat , for being quality rifles,(yes some have had recalls, but so have other brands), the fact there proven and there are SO many vendors making aftermarket parts for them,
and there normally very accurate rifles out of the box

WIN win win!
MY 2 cents
Old 12-29-2020, 04:29 PM
Banned

my rem 710 in synthetic stock is light- thats one thing I like about it- recoil not an issue. it just has a "cheap" kind of feel to it. and the bolt release is a total cluster@#$%..
Old 12-29-2020, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

Too bad you probably don’t live near me. My local store has a Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic S2 in 30-06 on the used rack for a good price. Maybe it’s because I grew up shooting a Vanguard, but they just feel right when you’re holding them shouldered. Haven’t held a rifle yet that could quite match the feel of it. The newer ones have a 3 position safety that allows you to unload the chamber while keeping it on “safe,” and they do make drop box magazine variants.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by demo_matt
my rem 710 in synthetic stock is light- thats one thing I like about it- recoil not an issue. it just has a "cheap" kind of feel to it. and the bolt release is a total cluster@#$%..
I think your missing my point here
a Rem model 710 is NOT considered a LIGHT weight rifle, its a full sized basic rifle(its close to a 7-1/2 lb rifle MINUS a scope sling , or loaded with ammo!

a TRUE light weight rifle will be much lighter by DESIGN(rem 700 mountain rifles, ruger mark II Ultra light, Savage ultra lights, Kimbers, and so on,, these are rifle designed to be LIGHT weight by, having special stocks that shave weight, thinner barrels, and trimmed metal off actions and where ever to enable the rifle to WEIGHT less!
many are well under 6 llbs, and many can be at about the 7 lb mark with a scope and some even loaded with ammo as well!

TRUE custom light weight rifles can cost however More than your 1000 dollar budget, but many factory one's can be had in your price range if you REALLY wanted a lightweight rifle
as you mentioned in your post !

SO, AGAIN, when you get into TRUE ultra light rifles, unless you add muzzle brakes to them, recoil increases, its science at work, NO way around it! its science at work, not opinions!

AND a TRUE ULTRA LIGHT 30/06 will have noticeable recoil over your 710 you have!
just saying, and replying based on the info you posted !

Last edited by mrbb; 12-29-2020 at 06:43 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.