HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - new deer rifle suggestions
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2020, 04:27 AM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

Yes I got you have a 30-06 now, but when you go to a LIGHTER rifle in same caliber, your going to notice MORE recoil, due to the rifle being lighter,, its how rifles work!

as for specific ridfles to look at again
REm model 700's are the most copied action in the world, for many reasons
SO< they are a good rifle to look at
but also as stated, all the long time models have proven track records,
Win Model 70's, browning A bolts, Sako's 85's , and a whole bunch of newer guns that have many great features copied from the best of the one's mentioned!

but they all pretty much have different stock shapes, lengths of pull, trigger/pistol grips designs, different degree throws on bolts and so on
SO, honestly what I or anyone else likes, , it will still come down to what YOU like and what FITS you best
as a gun that fits YOU<> YOU will shot better than one that doesn't fit YOU, but fits me!, if you follow!

Most ALL good gun shops carry most of the most popular rifles, due to again there the main sellers
they also tend to have the most aftermarket support(hard to beat remington in this dept)
as this then makes adding or changing things easier
can also be cheaper to get parts/add ons for as well
as the more popular and longer running models, costs are cheaper to make parts for them due to they been around a LONG time and as such SO many make parts(scope mounts, triggers stocks, and assorted replacement parts or UPGRADED parts)
when more company's are into making same parts they tend to compete for business and as such prices tend to then be better or more options or??

SO again, A rem 700 would top my list here if you wanted an exact make model

I also would suggest you maybe learning some of the benefits of different calibers, if your wishing to have a smaller lighter rifle
Short action calibers make for less metal on receiver thus less weight, smaller calibers than your 30-06 will then have LESS recoil in a lighter / Smaller gun
there is NOTHING wrong with a 30-06, I own several
but they do have more recoil than is needed for deer hunting even in larger rifles, and I am NOT recoil shy, (I own many MUCH larger caliber rifles with 2-3+times the recoil of a 30-06)
but I do 100% fully appreciate the advantages of some slightly smaller calibers and there less recoil for deer hunting, making lighter rifles to carry as well as shorter one's(30-06's can be had in shorter versions too so NOT saying they cannot, but you will most times get more recoil again due to caliber)

a s for ME with dis likes on some rifles
and I mean NO disrespect to them or those that liek them
I have never been a fan of Ruger rifles that use ONLY ruger style scope mounts, way too limited on options IMO
Savage's, as accurate as so many I have shot and owned have been, I find them some what crude, even there higher end one's

WInchesters have a dis like maybe (sadly) due to they changed owners so many times and every time there were quality changes in there rifles
same as with Weatherby rifles
and in the 15-20 Weatherby rifles I have owned, I have NEVER owned one that shot very well, YES I know many that have tack drivers, I just was never able to BUY one of them and I TRIED for yrs, from german made to China to USA made one's!I just never had luck
and YES I DO STILL own some , but they don't be what I call very accurate rifles compared to others I have!

when you get into other brands, again, many are just plain harder to find parts for !

SO< for ME< rem WIns the rifle game!

and I am NOT saying other brands DON"T make GREAT files, many do
just if I was to suggest a out of box rifle, Rem 700's are hard to beat , for being quality rifles,(yes some have had recalls, but so have other brands), the fact there proven and there are SO many vendors making aftermarket parts for them,
and there normally very accurate rifles out of the box

WIN win win!
MY 2 cents