Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

new deer rifle suggestions

Old 12-29-2020, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

After reading all of the OP's posts in this topic, I'm wondering if he shouldn't just have a gunsmith go through his rifle with some work on the bolt and a trigger job. Maybe even a new stock if he doesn't like the one he's got. From what I can tell, he likes the caliber and accuracy.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try out a savage 110 ....spend the rest on a vortex scope

Last edited by rockport; 12-30-2020 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm really surprised that no one mentioned Tikka rifles. I have rifles made by Rem, Win, Marlin, Savage, Browning and Tikka and my Tikka T3 Lite is my favorite. Mine is the synthetic/stainless version (and left hand too) in 30-06. I'm not saying its the best but it is very accurate, well made, and working the bolt is as slick as snot on a door knob!
Go to a gun shop that carries them and you'll see what I mean.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I'm really surprised that no one mentioned Tikka rifles. I have rifles made by Rem, Win, Marlin, Savage, Browning and Tikka and my Tikka T3 Lite is my favorite. Mine is the synthetic/stainless version (and left hand too) in 30-06. I'm not saying its the best but it is very accurate, well made, and working the bolt is as slick as snot on a door knob!
Go to a gun shop that carries them and you'll see what I mean.
Ive always heard good things but never had one. Seems like it definitely meets the requirements here. You get 1 inch or less at 100 yards with it? The accutrigger is why I almost always go savage.....Its hard to beat out of the box.

Last edited by rockport; 12-31-2020 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:59 PM
Spike

Go to a gun shop. Check out the triggers. When I've done that I've found some that I was interested had the worst grintty triggers on the planet.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Popgunshooter
Go to a gun shop. Check out the triggers. When I've done that I've found some that I was interested had the worst grintty triggers on the planet.
Triggers can be replaced on most anything now.

If it's something you really want. Good point though if you're just looking for a good shooter right off the shelf.

-Jake
Old 02-27-2021, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

MRBB said
"same as with Weatherby rifles
and in the 15-20 Weatherby rifles I have owned, I have NEVER owned one that shot very well, YES I know many that have tack drivers, I just was never able to BUY one of them and I TRIED for yrs, from german made to China to USA made one's!I just never had luck
and YES I DO STILL own some , but they don't be what I call very accurate rifles compared to others I have!
I'm just a bit curious, as to the accuracy standard, your using,
now I own several Weatherby rifles,
and find all of them to work rather well for the purpose intended.
admittedly they are not target rifles', they are not meant to be,
they are all calibers 340, 378 416 and 375 H&H and yes I bought and use them for hunting.
and of course everyone has some personal idea as to what constitutes an accurate rifle
and I'm certainly not a great shot, and I don't shoot targets much more than to zero rifles,
but I do handload and do hunt rather often,
keep in mind most Weatherby rifles are used for hunting larger game,
and at least in my mind a rifle that maintains a consistent zero is a valuable trait.
most if not all my Weatherby rifles will place three shots at 100 yards ,
in a 1"-1.3" circle off a solid bench rest at 100 yards from a cold barrel.
maybe because I handload and take the time to find what the rifle likes,
and yes I've used acu-glass to re-bed those rifles that I felt would have benefited from it.,
now admittedly you'll never win bench rest target competition's with groups like that
but there has never yet been a mule deer or elk that was walking away laughing at my inability to place a lethal shot.
yeah I use a bi-pod, and a sling, and I might never come close to wining some bench rest completion,
but the rifles are a very consistent and reasonably accurate tool used for hunting.
Yes I freely admit most of the game I shoot has been at under 300 yards and Ill pass on anything over 600 yards,
and just hold off until I get into range for a dead certain hit to the vitals.
with that level of accuracy If I do my part even at 600 yards the bullets impact within 4-5 inches of the intended point of impact,
and I doubt any deer or elk will notice a minor discrepancy here!

Last edited by hardcastonly; 02-27-2021 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:19 PM
Spike

I bought a new browning blr 30:06 last season. Love it. I a so happy with that purchase. Great gun . Very smooth and accurate
Old 07-01-2021, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hardcastonly
I'm just a bit curious, as to the accuracy standard, your using,
!
sorry on not seeding this sooner
some how missed it till now

But I consider a rifle to be accurate by a basic 1 MOA of accuracy
and I am a guy that likes accurate rifles, and do my part in always trying to find a load they like

NONE of the weatherby's i bought for myself , was I ever able to get to shoot well or accurate to be in the 1 Moa or better standard I want in my rifles

were they good ENOUGH to kill deer and like animals, YES, not saying they wouldn't do such!
but that doesn't mean I would call them accurate
I personally owned a few dozen of them , but none shot that well IMO!

I HAVE seem some that shot VERY well
so I know some do!
I just never had one of them!

Last edited by mrbb; 07-01-2021 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

I just got back from a trip to the local; outdoor 100 yard rifle range, where I sighted in a couple of my "go-too", hunting rifles
I checked the zero on my browning BLR in caliber 450 marlin with its preferred load of a remington 405 grain bullet over 50 grains of IMR 3031,
and my ruger #1 in caliber 270 win with its speer 150 grain, over 53 grains of WW760 , both loads, use a federal 215 primer.
both rifles are sighted in to impact 3.5" high at 100 yards over a center hold on a 1/2" orange paste on dot,
this allows a very useful center of chest hold on any game out to about 250 yards without having to calculate anything,
and its very useful as I rarely have the opportunity or need to shoot at ranges exceeding 200 yards in the areas I hunt.
after using the bench and sandbags to verify the rifles zero was dead on, I spent a great deal of time and effort ,
carefully placing shots from a siting position with the sling resting my elbows inside my knees, as you might on a hunt.
sometimes with my harris bi-pod and at times without the 13.5"-27" bi-pod
Harris S-25C Bipod Sling Swivel Stud Mount 13-1/2 to 27 Kryptek (midwayusa.com)

the range officer stopped to chat, and he mentioned how rare it was to see anyone not using the bench to sight in his rifle.
I mentioned the extreme lack of concrete benches in the correct location when they are required in the field while hunting and we both had too laugh\
because most of the guys shooting those bragging size groups off the bench would be seriously challenged to hit a 6" orange dot at 100 yards.
if they were shooting from a rapidly acquired field position.
yeah, its rather interesting to see how much the group size increases once the bench is no longer used or available to steady the rifle,

in fact the guy on the next bench over though I was wrong, so I challenged him to a friendly bet,
of $5 that on the next relay ID place a 3" orange dot on the target backer, at 100 yards range,
and if he could hit it on his first shot using his rifle from a sitting position,
he had won, $5 from me, if not I won $5 from him
he was close but the sticky dot remained pristine and I got $5, so I purchased us three, people, (he, the range officer and I ) a couple cokes, out of the vending machine

Last edited by hardcastonly; 07-05-2021 at 09:48 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.